Who Was That?

Thank you for voting, Zy_crystal and UwUidkwattodo!

TW swearing, child abuse

Zak POV

I saw some guy, giving Margaret some eggs. He was a cute boy. We looked at each other for a minute, then he left.
I went up to Margaret, "Who was that?"

"That was Darryl! He gave me some eggs! 50¢ each!" She said and gave me a cheeky grin.
I didn't care about the eggs though, I only cared about the boy.

"He's about your age!" She went on

I never thought I'd say this, "Do you think I could go see him?"

"Oh, honey. His father isn't the best man." She said, her grin turning into a guilty look.

I nodded, but she didn't say I couldn't go see him.
I pretend to go out playing in the field, taking my stick with me. I went down and army crawled so Margaret wouldn't see me. I went through everyone's backyards and eventually saw the boy again.
I followed him, and saw him start opening the door. But then, he suddenly froze. I was confused until I saw it.

Nobody POV

Darryl froze, just as he was about to open the door to go back in his house.
In the reflection of the window, he saw a rusty truck, bouncing down the road.
He's here early?! Why is he here early?! Darryl thought, scared to death

A man parked it and stepped out of the truck. "Why you have a basket? Did you go to another tea party?" He asked Darryl, sneering.

"I was selling eggs." Darryl replies quietly

The man grabbed the money from the basket. "You don't need money."

His father suddenly slapped Darryl's face, and kicked his ankles. Darryl fell in pain of his ankles.
His dad then stepped on his arm on the way to the door.

Zak wanted to go down the hill to help the fallen boy, but then, someone grabbed him by his hood.

"What are you doin here?!" Hissed David

"I- um" stuttered Zak, frightened by David's fury

"Are you spyin' on people?"

"N-no sir." Zak mumbled.

David pulled him back to the house by his hoodie, and Zak tried to resisted.

"Darryl was hurt!" Zak argued on the way back

"I don't know who that is, and I don't care!" David yelled back.

Zak knew David wasn't trying to be mean, he just didn't want a bad reputation.

Zak was beyond anger. He wanted to murder the man who hurt the cute boy. He wanted to be let go, so he could help the boy.

Zak POV

I can't believe the guy who hurt the egg boy. I can't BELIEVE him. He had to be sent from Satan. Hurting the cutest boy on earth.

I kinda wanted to tell Margaret about this, since she had warned me. But then again, she was REALLY cringy. I decided not to.

I lay in bed, staring at the popcorn ceiling, thinking about nothing. The big dog came in, and tried to get me outside to throw the slobbered ball, but I just kept laying there. My mind wouldn't get off of that boy.

Margaret made her way slowly upstairs this time, telling me super is ready.
I didn't want to be another pain for David, so I followed her downstairs. I was very hungry, and the delicious smells didn't help a single thing.
Unlike breakfast, this was a very big meal. I instantly regret not eating anything yesterday.

After super, I went back to my bedroom, and sat there in silence again.

Darryl POV

My dad kicked my shins, making me fall to the ground. I wanted to scream, but I knew better.
A couple tears slid down my cheek, my ankles in unbearable pain.
I tried to get up quickly, and as I did so, my eyes caught a glimpse of someone's quite familiar bright sky blue hoodie. I kept my eyes on the house though, not wanting my father to catch me looking at other things.

I somehow made it to my bedroom. I really wanted to put ice on my ankles, but I couldn't since my dad was home.
I wanted to get my mind off the pain, and as soon as I started thinking of other things, the black haired boy with the stick came to my head.
I shook my head to get him out of there. I started to think about names for the chickens. I thought maybe I could even upgrade their coop.

Just then, I heard my dad calling me. I quickly ran out of my bedroom, trying not to limp.
I held my breath as my father started to scream at me.

"WHAT" he said, pointing to the chicken coop out the window, "IS THAT?!?"

"A chicken coop." I say, shifting my weight on the other side of my body.

"I NEED THAT GoNE BY TOMORROW!!" He yelled, his voice cracking.

"But that's how we are making money." I argued. That was a mistake.

"WE DON'T NEED A STUPID ASS CHICKEN HOUSE!" he screamed shattering my ears. I winced at the swear word.

"Yes sir." I mumbled (yessir)

I was about to go back to my bedroom, when I hear him crack his belt behind me.

"Get your shit back here."