I'm so, so, so, so, so, so Sorry

TW swearing, child abuse, blood/wounds,

Zak POV

I woke up in the comfortable lavender smelling bed.
I was a little shaky from last night, when there was something in the bush. I'm sure it was nothing. Maybe just my hallucinations.

I tried to hide these emotions from Margaret, but she found out somehow.

"Are you getting sick?" She asked while putting her hand over my forehead

I rolled my eyes and growled at her. I turned away so she didn't touch me. I hated how she pretended where she was my mom.

I went outside and asked Margaret if I could go see the Darryl boy. Like last time, she told me how his dad wasn't the "best man". No kidding. Then she ended the sentence with a no. Dang it.

I just wished there was someone in my age group that I could talk to.
I had some sort of idea.

"Hey, I could go get chicken eggs for you!" I say, trying to sound cheerful

"Hmm. But Darryl usually comes to us." Margaret says

"Wouldn't it be faster if I went there? I'm a very fast boy." I added

"Well, I guess." She sighed and handed me a couple dollars.

I grinned, and began my way down the road, remembering the way I took through the woods last time when David found me 'spying'.

I stopped in front of a blank brown house. It looked old, like Margaret and David's house.
I knocked happily on the broke door.

A tall man stepped out. I recognized that man as...

The man who hurt my Darryl

I gave him a little bit of a dirty look, and asked him to trade eggs for money.

"Eggs? DARRYL GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!" He screamed. I jumped.

A light browned hair boy, that I remembered as the egg boy, quickly walked out and glanced at me. I smiled at him, but he went back to looking at his dad, with a scared expression?

"I TOLD YOU TO STOP GIVIN PEOPLE EGGS! YOU SAID YOU WOULD GET RID OF THE DAMN CHICKENS!" Darryl's dad yelled

"I-I-I swear I didn't sell any more." Darryl said with tears in his eyes

His dad slapped Darryl, and my eyes widened. Darryl hardly flinched, but he still looked very hurt.

"S-sir," I stammered

"Wait here." He said gruff, finally not screaming

I looked at Darryl, my mouth gaped open. Darryl stared at the ground, occasionally sniffling, completely ignoring my presence.
His dad came back with a KNIFE!?!
He pressed it against Darryl's cheek.

"This is what happens when you DON'T OBEY ME!" He yelled while slicing a deep cut into his cheek. I screamed, tears falling down my cheek. Darryl fell to the ground, and silently cried too.

"You better be happy that's your only punishment. Learn to obey me." His dad said, and walked back inside almost stepping on Darryl's head.

I stuck my hand out, trying not to be selfish by just running.

"I-I am so, so, so, so, so, so sorry." I say whilst crying more.

He swatted my hand away and said, "Please, you've caused enough, I don't want him to hurt you. Please, just go home." He pleaded.

I nodded, my arms and legs shaking. "At least let me help you up. Just let me help you." I say
He shook his head no. "I don't want him to catch you, then you will get hurt too."

"I'm so sorry." I said again

He looked over, "Hurry. Leave! He's coming!" Darryl said

I sprinted home, and ran into Margaret's arms.

"Honey, what happened?" Margaret asked, concerned why I was crying my eyes out.

"D-Darryl! He g-got h-hurt!" I sobbed, "Its was all my fault!"

Margaret sighed and said, "The man has always been like that, honey. Nothing is your fault."

I felt so bad, I just wanted to see Darryl, and become friends with him. I never would want him to get hurt.