Nineteen

It was a few days before the Swayamvar and all the princesses came , even the Dwaraka siblings came. Draupadi and Subhadra immediately became close and together tagged Advika teasing her about the Swayamvar.

She shook her head in amusement and a little annoyance. Slowly the princes and kings started coming and Advika became tense as they kept coming. Subhadra and Draupadi sensed her nervousness and said "Jiji let's go to the forest at the borders. There is even a temple there. You will feel at peace there."

Advika agreed and the seven princesses left to the temple. At the temple Advika went inside while the rest went to explore. She told them "Go in pairs ok? Be careful and come back soon." They all agreed and dispersed. Advika went inside the temple and prayed to the god for sometime before she felt a little peaceful.

She turned around and came face to face with Karna who had also come to Ayodhya for the Swayamvar with his brothers. Only he would participate but his brothers just came along. She looked up at his tall form and saw him looking down at her.

Suddenly she got nervous and stuttered a little "Sakha?" Karna who had realised his feelings was in a stupor seeing her and came out of it when she called him. He responded with a "Hmm?" She fidgeted and asked "When did you get here?" He replied "Just an hour ago ." They fell into a silence.

~•~

On the other hand Draupadi and Valandhara went into the forest together to explore. Draupadi had a bow in her hand and she was telling Valandhara "Jiji you see how I'll shoot the arrows at the mangoes and get them down." Valandhara nodded and they went and stood near a mago tree.

They didn't see a person standing on the mango tree plucking mangoes and throwing them to another person standing below the tree. Draupadi got her arrow ready and shot it. The man standing on the tree saw it coming and caught it confused.

Draupadi stared confused as to why the mango didn't fall and shot another arrow. This time the man caught it again and jumped down. Draupadi and Valandhara widened their eyes seeing a man jumping down. The man shouted "Who is that person that dosen't know archery and dares to shoot?" The other man stood leaning on the tree and eating a mango.

On hearing his words Draupadi fumed and went face to face with the guy and said "Excuse me I do know archery and I was the one who shot it. It's you who stopped my arrows from hitting the mangoes." The man too fumed and said "Well it could have hurt me. Can't you see and shoot?" Draupadi fired back "Who told you to climb the tree first of all?" They humphed and turned away.

Meanwhile Valandhara and the man under the tree stared at each other as if lost in each other. They didn't hear or care for their companions argument. Draupadi said pulling Valandhara "Come on Jiji let's go and not waste our time with mannerless people." Arjun shouted "You.."but before he could say anything else Draupadi and Valandhara left.

~•~

Karenumati and Vijaya went to the river where it was peaceful. Vijaya sat down on a rock little far from the river and enjoyed the scenery while Karenumati played with the water. While going forward to see a fish she didn't see a slippery stone and almost fell into the water before a hand caught her.

She turned towards the man and words got stuck in her throat. The man too stared at her as if she was a goddess. He pulled her up and slowly asked "Will you marry me?" Karenumati stared at him in shock and a little anger. She wanted to scold him yet she could not so she just shook her head and turned away.

On the bank Vijaya saw a man coaxing a rabbit that was hurt. Astonishingly the rabbit listened to him and stayed still till he could heal it. Vijaya went near the rabbit and exclaimed "Wow you have great skill with animals." The man looked up and smiled and shrugged. She squatted and started petting the rabbit who sat content. The man looked at her with a smile. Then Karenumati came and dragged Vijaya away who smiled at the man before leaving.