~ Chapter 17: They're Back ~

~ Huey ~

"You should call her."

"No."

"C'mon."

"I said no."

"But maybe if you just-"

"Ebony." I groaned in annoyance as I sat at my computer desk in my room. I looked towards my sister who sat on my bed with a look on her face.

"Can I read my book in peace, please?" I asked, attempting to find my page.

It's been months since my last encounter with Jazmine. Ever since I told her I didn't want to start dating, I haven't heard from her.

"Huey, this is serious."

"No, it's not." I retorted as she rolled her eyes.

"Huey-"

"Ebony. All I did was decline Jazmine's offer for a relationship." I turned to her.

"Which was absolutely unnecessary."

"It was necessary, Ebony. You know why." I reminded her as she sighed. "Yes, how could I forget? There's a secret agent out to get you because you're a retired domestic terrorist." Ebony said in a somewhat sarcastic tone.

I scowled. "So now you don't believe me?"

"Of course I believe you, Huey. You know that. But why does this have to affect your relationship with Jazmine?" She asked with a sad tone.

I sighed deeply. "We've been over this numerous times. This affects everything, Ebony. From a young age, I planned for everything. I had to take responsibility for Granddad, Riley, and myself which was already a lot. Since a few years ago, I now have you to worry about."

"Sorry for being such a burden." Ebony mumbled as I sighed. "That's not what I meant."

"I know, but-" "I can't risk putting Jazmine in any type of danger. I can't because-"

I stopped myself as I groaned.

I then saw Ebony smile slightly.

"I know, Huey. I know."

I'm aware Ebony's only trying to help, and I appreciate her greatly, despite my attitude. Honestly, she's the only one who truly understands the situation.

"Why don't you just tell Jazmine this, Huey? I'm sure she'll believe you and understand."

I shook my head. "It's better not to get her involved."

Ebony sighed. "Fine, I give. But dating or not dating, you two have been best friends since forever. You guys haven't even spoken to each other all summer. The start of junior year is in less than a week."

"That is no fault of mine. Jazmine has made no effort to speak to me or see me." I rolled my eyes.

"Have you made any effort to speak to her?"

I paused for a moment. I saw a smug smirk on Ebony's face. It annoyed me when she was right.

"Just promise me you'll make an effort to talk to her before school starts. Okay?"

"Fine." I gave in as she smiled.

"Now may I resume my reading?" I asked as Ebony playfully rolled her eyes and stood up. "Yes, you may." She said mockingly before walking towards the door.

I was about to focus on my book again but turned to her.

"Ebony."

"Yeah?"