~ Chapter 36: Just A Little Liquor ~

~ Huey ~

I knocked on Jazmine's front door, my mind wondering as I waited.

All I could think is that Mark had something to do with why she needed me to come over.

If he hurt her, so help me God-

The door swung open, as I paused.

Jazmine stood there with red eyes and wet cheeks, her eyes tearing up more as she looked at me.

"Y-You came." She mumbled softly as I scowled, walking in.

"What happened? What did he do?"

"H-He?" She asked confusedly.

"Mark."

"M-Mark? N-No... Mark didn't..." Jazmine shook her head before looking back up at me, teary eyed.

"M-My mom... She c-came back today and I j-just..." Her voice became shaky.

I sighed in some relief.

"Jazmine..."

"I c-c-can't d-d-do this anymore, Huey!" Jazmine then cried into my chest as I held her close.

Although I'm relieved Mark didn't do anything, I hate to see her in this state yet again.

"It's alright, Jazmine. It's alright."

***

After a while, I finally got Jazmine to calm down and tell me everything that happened tonight.

"Sh-She should've never came back." She sniffled, sitting next to me on her couch.

"Drink your water." I held up the glass as she took a sip before taking a deep breath.

"How's Tom?" I asked.

"He's finally sleeping." Jazmine sighed. "It was awful, Huey. He wouldn't stop crying and blaming himself..."

I examined her face as she let out another sigh. I can see it in her eyes that she's exhausted.

"You should get some rest."

"I tried... I can't." Jazmine shook her head. "I wanna sleep, but then I worry about my dad, or I just think about my mom." She said sadly as I saw a single tear roll down her cheek.

"Hey." I said as she looked up at me.

"Your dad's fine right now. And as for your mom, she's gone."

"B-But what if she comes back?" Jazmine's voice cracked. "We'll cross that bridge when we get to it." I reassured her.

She slowly nodded as I began to stand up.

I then felt her tug on my arm.

"...Can you stay with me tonight?"

I felt my body freeze as my face warmed up.

"I just..." Jazmine trailed off. "I just don't wanna be alone."

After a moment, I nodded. I then sat back down on the couch, as I felt Jazmine rest her head on my shoulder.

My face got hot once again with Jazmine letting out a soft breath.

I started to feel more comfortable as I heard her starting to relax.

"...Jazmine?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yeah?" She answered in a quiet yawn.

"Why did you ask me to come, and not Mark?"

There was a second of silence before Jazmine looked up at me.