Unwanted

The wind howled in Becky's ears as the rain crashed down onto the smoldering remains of the once brilliant city below. All around her was noise, blinding noise, enveloping her and consuming her within its dizzying grasp. From the twisting grate of metal buildings to the sizzling lick of fire against burning wood she was surrounded by nothing but the mocking cries of her own defeat.

Clouds of choking smoke filled the formerly ebony blue sky, turning it gray and ashy as the flames continued to grow higher and brighter as they consumed what remained of Faircity. Becky could do nothing but cough, hacking up the blackened dust that had once belonged to the toppled buildings she was supposed to be protecting. However there was nothing she could do about them now. They were all gone.

The pungent smell of roasting corpses, seeping up from the pile of bodies beneath her was also enough to overcome her weary senses, causing the world to twirl and dance before her unfocused, watering eyes.

Her body throbbed with exhaustion and her concussed head churned, trying to remember how long she had been here, torturing herself over all of the lives she had let slip out of her small, fragile hands. There was nothing anymore. No one to save, no one to comfort, no one to fight... All she could do was kill herself slowly and painfully, a fate no more gruesome than that of the people lying mangled beneath her.

A searing pain shot up from her leg, but she refused to look down to inspect it. She knew it was broken, snapped into three equal pieces that refused to face the correct direction. The first time she had seen it she had puked, and even now the sight of it proved to be too much as her stomach swayed uneasily. 

Becky made an attempt to scream, but the noise came out as an inhuman gurgle, drowned out by the pounding rain. 

"Please stop!" She pleaded, each word ripping her throat raw. 

There was no response. 

Becky sobbed, wiping a tired arm across her forehead, noting how the warm blood trickled down her shredded arm, pooling in scabbed ridges and mixing in with the healing rain. Whoever had destroyed her home didn't even find her worthy enough to finish the job.

Suddenly a flash of light illuminated the sky, cutting through the dark smoke and rain to define an unnatural, and almost ghost-like presence through the black clouds. It spun around rapidly growing faster and faster, behaving with the same fiery spark as the lightning which also flickered rapidly through the sky. It began rearranging itself, molding the sky around it into a blinding amalgamation of celestial bodies. It whirred violently for a few horrifying moments before evolving into a perfectly cut sphere.

For a moment Becky shuddered, for when she looked upon the orb her body reeled from the extreme light.

A horrible anger began to settle in her gut as she looked upon the heavenly sphere with a guilty wrath. Her upper lip trembled with rage, and her eyes struggled to focus as the tears continued to pour down her tortured face. As she attempted to breathe, her lungs would only concede at taking small gasps rather than full inhales. Something within her drew back in horror as she immediately assumed the alien object to be the villain that had taken everything from her.

"There you are." She whispered, her voice but a low rage filled growl, raspy in nature yet firm and commanding. Her shoulders narrowed like a cat preparing to strike, shaking lightly as her eyes settled heavily on her prey hovering no more than a few feet away. 

She darted forward, tearing into the pitch black clouds with an insatiable fury, a golden streak rippled through the sky behind her, its metallic glow shimmering and sparkling from the faint light of the fires churning below. Her eyes began to burn, slowly roasting in the face of the heavenly light she now recognized to be entirely mechanical. Her body screamed for her to stop, but her anger made her move faster, wanting desperately not to rip it apart, but to force it to finish its path of destruction.