New Motives

Tobey turned around with a newfound vigor, determined to prove himself to the world that he could in fact be someone worthwhile. All of his pride flooded back as he thought of his future and how Wordgirl had said "We'll see" in response to his advances.
He sighed. His mother was wrong about him, along with everyone else who had assumed he could never be more than a monster. 
Suddenly there was a small crash as something tumbled off of his desk and onto the floor. 
He jumped in surprise, but upon realizing the source he walked over to investigate. 
It was the deep green chip he had tossed onto this desk earlier, the one that had never worked. 
"Useless piece of junk," he frowned, picking it back up. Slowly he turned it in his hands, examining the piece of machinery with an attuned eye. There was a small chip on one end, but other than that it was perfectly reusable. "Hm." He thought to himself, looking back and forth between the chip and his computer. "Unless…"
Quickly he sat down, plugging the chip into a port on the side of his laptop. Without much effort he began to dig through the code. His thought process was that if he could fix the code, he could change the robot into something better than its original purpose. 
Sure enough he managed to find what was wrong with it. A single line where he had forgotten to add a period. Quickly he corrected the line and grinned. It should work perfectly now. However he began to get ahead of himself and began adding in new features as well, experimental augmentations that he had always wanted to add, but never had the initiative to do so. Shape changing, intricate learning features, and enhanced human capabilities were some of the many adjustments he made. 
Excitedly he finished, walking over to the metal hull with giddy joy to plug the chip back into the lifeless machine. He then stood back, watching as it trembled, whirring to life for a few fabulous moments before stopping and powering back down. 
Confused as to why it had stopped, Tobey looked back at the chip. It sparked, and shot a burning white light out of the hull that quickly dimmed and turned into nothingness. 
He pulled on a pair of gloves and held the chip, running over it with his thumb. Annoyed, he let go of it. "Stupid piece of junk…" Apparently it was in fact unusable.
He sighed and rubbed his forehead, not wanting this sudden disappointment to ruin his otherwise amazing night. Carefully he pulled his gloves back off and began getting ready for bed. He would finish taking apart the machine tomorrow.