The "Becoming Good" Thing

Carefully Becky lifted the boy up into the air, grabbing onto his arms as gently as she could manage.

Tobey watched as he slowly became weightless. It was such an odd feeling that he never got tired of feeling. This wasn't his first time being flown around by the hero, and deep down he hoped it wouldn't be his last. "So where are we going," he asked, finally looking up.

Becky looked down briefly. "Um... I don't know..." She felt stupid for not having decided that earlier. "Is the ice cream store still open?"

Tobey looked at his watch. "Not for long..."

"What's open then?"

"Umm..." The boy thought for a second before pointing somewhere below. "How about there? "

Becky gazed down to where his finger led. It was a small, in the wall, bakery all lit up with sparkling lights and a bright red "Open Late" sign.

Swiftly, she landed, touching down onto the rough pavement.

Tobey stood up, moving away from her to give her space.

"Have you been here before?" Becky asked, curiously.

He shook his head. "I don't really go much of anywhere."

"I haven't either." She added, hopeful.

Together they looked through the window. Inside of the bakery the city took a different tone. The walls were painted a deep amaranth and were covered in twinkling fairy lights. The glass counter held dozens of fresh pastries, their delicious scent already trailing outside.

Tobey happily pulled the door open, holding it wide for Becky to walk through.

"After you, my dear." He joked, grinning.

Becky pushed him playfully.

A large chalk board instructed them to seat themselves, so they chose a booth towards the window. Instead of using both sides, they opted to use only one.

"Well this is pretty spiffy." Tobey acknowledged, looking around. Becky nodded, noting how he sat with immaculate posture.

The restaurant was nearly empty, but there were still a few other customers drinking coffee on the other side, and Becky noticed them beginning to stare. An odd feeling spread across her as she caught one of their eyes.

Suddenly a woman walked over from behind the counter. She carried a notebook and pen, but tucked the writing utensil into her pocket on the walk over. As she grew closer, Becky noticed the owner tag on her name plate. She stopped next to their table

She had an uncomfortable look on her face and she bit her lip. "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to ask you to leave..."

Becky frowned. "Why?"

"You're making everyone uncomfortable." The woman replied, lowering her notepad. "I can serve you," she said pointing to Becky "-but he has to go."

"Excuse me?" Tobey asked, narrowing his eyes.

"I'm really sorry." The woman rushed, trying to avoid eye contact with the pair.

"That's ridiculous." Becky argued, raising a brow.

"Exactly how are we bothering anyone?" Tobey asked, daring the owner to say more.

""

Becky placed a hand on his in an attempt to get him to calm down. "We're leaving." She announced, standing up from her seat.

Tobey muttered a little, but followed her out the door, only turning to flip the woman off.

Becky appreciated that he felt the same way about the bakery. It was stupid.