Something Exciting

Tobey's mother said nothing as she hastily regarded his presence, allowing a sick feeling to sink into his gut. A nervous smile crept across his face, but began fading almost instantly. He knew that he had crossed her final line, and it made him antsy. The woman said nothing as she turned and began walking out of the building, her heels clicking neatly as she paced across the tile floor. Obediently the boy followed, reaching up to grab her hand as standard procedure for most of their walks, however she brushed it away and kept moving forward swiftly.

Outside it was pouring rain. Rivers of water ran wildly across the crevices of the parking lot, their chaotic banks growing wider as the rain harshened. The browning hedges littering the front gardens, shook and quivered in the wind, looking just as dead as they had before.

Tobey's footsteps made irritable slaps against the wet pavement, accidentally splashing most of the water onto his legs and socks. He could only assume that it was retribution for the things he had said to his classmate.

As they came upon their car, he climbed meekly into the backseat. Still his mother said nothing. It would be a long ride home.

The sound of rain perpetually crashing down onto the school roof echoed throughout Becky's class, and she struggled to pay attention to the lesson. Her mind kept zoning off to think about all the things she could be doing instead of sitting in school. It had been a few hours since her mistake at lunch, and the end of the day was rapidly nearing. For Becky it couldn't come fast enough. The thought of being able to sit in her room, doing nothing other than what she wanted to do was such a wonderful thought, that it made the minutes tick by even slower.

5 minutes till the bell...

After glancing at the large round clock hanging high about the dusty chalkboard, she allowed herself to zone out further, listening to the world beyond the classroom and beyond the pounding rain.

Somewhere in the world she could hear a piano, blaring out a ragtime tune, a car, racing down stale dirt roads in the middle of nowhere, and the flickering neon lights of a far off coffee shop.

"How nice would it be to just be normal?" The girl thought, staring off into nowhere in particular. She could travel the world, see the sights she wanted to see, and be human. Mistakes wouldn't haunt her subconscious mind, and she could be free. The girl had more power than she knew what to do with, but she also had the responsibility that accompanied it, and it was becoming almost too much. She had to be perfect, else the city would devolve into chaos, but in the end she was still just a kid. An imperfect child, that had no business being the only thing standing between a city and all of the evil masterminds that strove for world domination.

A sharp trill broke the girl from her thoughts as the red bells changed loudly on the side of the walls. School was finally out.

Quickly the girl stood, placing her folder into her backpack and zipping it up with incredible speed. Easily, she flung the bag over her shoulder and began making her way out into the halls. However, she was momentarily stopped before one of the empty desks that littered the classroom. It was Tobey's seat.

The girl bit her lip awkwardly, leaving the room quicker than she would have before.

A rush of cool air hit the girl as she walked through the open doors of the front entrance. The rain was already beginning to slow, and she predicted that it would stop entirely in around half an hour. Aimlessly she walked forward, looking for her mother's car.

"Hey Becky! Wait up!" Violet called, making his way through the crowd. Scoops followed her closely.

"What's up?"