All My Fault

Tobey laid down gently on top of his own makeshift bed, stretching harshly across the hard ground. His body ached from over exertion and his mind was stumbling with half-baked thoughts. Almost everything about today had been awful, but at least he wasn't alone. Despite being heavily injured, Becky hadn't been as stupid as he had previously thought, and he realized that apologizing to her was actually really good advice. Being nice had been a lot easier than he had expected, and for once in his life he didn't feel like the poison he really was. He rolled over to look at the girl who was now facing the other direction and probably already asleep.

She looked dreadful, and he knew that it was a miracle she had even managed to escape from Eradica. Her injuries were severe, but she was strong, very strong, he knew that he would never be capable of surviving what she had gone through.

"Tobey?" The girl suddenly asked quietly, rolling over to face him gently.

"Yes?" He felt bad about letting her leave. He should have made her stay, then she would have at least been uninjured.

"Are we... friends now?"

The boy thought for a moment. Everything they had been through had been possible because they had both put aside their differences and worked. It was only natural, and he felt a small bit of giddy joy from realizing the answer. "I suppose..."

Slowly, the girl smiled, sending his heart fluttering. She felt a menagerie of emotions, pain, relief, fear, but as she heard him confirm their friendship, she felt like everything negative had faded away. "You're a good person."

He shrugged off the compliment awkwardly. "We're the only people left..." He muttered quietly, still trying to wrap his mind around the daunting fact. "And WordGirl is gone too..."

Becky went silent, wondering what to do.

Tobey propped himself on a single arm to look over at the girl who thought nervously a few feet away. "So, you saw her?"

"Y-yeah...I guess"

"And she was alright?"

"Mhm..."

Tobey nodded, considering the answer sufficient. He then layed back down heavily, taking off his glasses and folding them neatly beside him, his heart conflicted. There was something about Becky that intrigued him just as WordGirl always had. He swallowed, looking up towards the white ceiling, guiltily acknowledging his crush. Something in him felt as if he was betraying WordGirl by recognizing his growing affections for Becky, and he didn't like it, shoving them back away. He couldn't like Becky, ever. She wasn't WordGirl.

This however went all out the window when Becky suddenly cried out in pain, causing Tobey to leap up and move to her side.

"What happened?"

"I-It's nothing," she reassured, placing a hand over the bandage on her waist.

An awful feeling ran across the boy as he looked over her, noticing how her face was twisted with agony. "You need medicine." He frowned, looking up towards the ladder leading out.

"I'll be fine, don't go up there..."

"It won't take long." He promised, gently squeezing her hand. "There's ibuprofen in the bathroom cupboard, I'll be back in a few minutes tops." He dropped her arm lightly against the blankets before standing.

"Please be careful." Becky begged, wishing he rather didn't leave her side.

He nodded his head, grabbing his glasses and heading for the ladder. "Just try to get some sleep. I'll be back soon."