Mother's Day Out

"Thank you for agreeing to meet with me." Mrs. Mcalister frowned, sitting down at the small but quaint Cafe table for the agreed upon brunch between both mothers.

"It was nothing." Mrs. Botsford beamed, waving a wry hand before cocking her head to stare deeply into her friend's eyes. "What's been going on?"

She swallowed, trying to hold back the flood of emotions that washed over her. Anger, Sadness, Regret... "It's Tobey..."

"Has he done anything else since the other night?"

She shook her head. "He's stayed up in his room... I haven't had the nerve to visit him."

Mrs. Botsford frowned, taking a sip of her ice water. Her once chipper expression had faded into one of concern and great sympathy. To her, Mrs. Mcalister had noticeably degraded since their last visit. She was still wearing a pristine blue suit over her usual equally expensive dress, brimming with the confidence of any esteemed business woman, but as she stared into her eyes she saw the fear and despair she held for her only son.

There was only so much advice one could give for a misbehaved child, and Mrs. Botsford was running out of ideas.

"I don't think he's ever going to change." The mother admitted, showing her true feelings on the subject matter. "All he does is scheme and plot and hurt." She explained, her voice struggling to hold the emphasis she had placed on each word. "I know he's never been very nice, but I at least expected him to grow out of all of this super villain nonsense. He just doesn't understand that this lifestyle is going to hurt him, he's already been to jail once! I'm scared for him."

Mrs. Botsford's mouth quivered as she listened to the grieving mother. Deep inside she also believed that maybe there wasn't hope for the rambunctious boy. Countless times he had placed lives in danger without a sign of remorse, countless times he had placed her family's lives in danger... She closed her eyes, blinking harshly before looking back up at her friend with a pained expression. Her heart dropped.

"Have you ever thought about sending him to a reform school?"

Mrs. Mcalister's eyes widened and her face drooped. "I have..." She whispered reluctantly, almost as if the subject itself was a sin. "I just... I never had the heart to go through with it... Do you think..." she paused "-do you think it would work?"

Mrs. Botsford shrugged, trying to conceal her doubt. "I'm not sure."

The woman nodded, thinking it over. "I suppose I don't have a choice." Her voice breaking as she conceded to the dreadful idea. "I'll tell him after school