Stalking With Purpose

Tobey sat indifferently at the long, wooden table in the detention hall. He had laid his head down across his arms, trying his best to zone out for the rest of his "incarceration". However, he couldn't stop thinking about the events that led up to his detention... and what his mother would think.

"No one likes you, not even wordgirl..." The words echoed through his head, drawing more attention than he could have imagined. Before today he hadn't put much thought into whether his classmates liked him or not, but now that he knew the answer he was faced with an ugly truth. All he had was his intelligence and the creatures his genius had sparked, and it wasn't enough, nor would it ever be. More than anything in the world he desperately wanted to be happy, whether that be by taking all that he wanted, flattening cities, or striking fear in the hearts and minds of anyone who dared to stand in his way. However, now that he realized the consequences of his happiness, he became downcast. What was happening? He was an evil genius, he didn't need anything other than his intelligence and well... maybe WordGirl...

He frowned, hoping to think of something else. Normally he would make an elaborate plan to destroy whoever had wronged him, but as of the moment he had lost all vigor for the subject.

That's when the door clicked open, and a single office aid slipped into the room. The visitor was quick and spritely joyously dropping off a single note to the detention keeper's desk before racing back out the door.

The gruff old man begrudgingly removed his feet from the desk, and picked up his paper. Upon reading, he brushed his graying mustache and put on a pair of rectangular glasses.

Tobey felt his face grow pale, as a cold sweat crept over him.

"Tobey Mccallister please report to the office to be picked up." The older man read off in a monotone voice, holding the slip up close to his face.

This was exactly what the boy didn't want to hear. She was here, and now his mood was about to go from bad to worse.

Tobey clenched and unclenched his fists nervously, standing slowly to his feet after more than a moment of hesitation. Swallowing hard, he fixed his bow tie and picked up his belongings. How he wished he could just stay here.

The world suddenly felt so much colder than it had before, and the room was smaller. To Tobey, it felt as if the walls he had built up so firmly were beginning to push inward, and it was only the beginning.

Becky tapped her fingers rhythmically against the solid blue lunch table, desperately trying to focus on her work. However, no matter what, her thoughts kept coming back to how embarrassed and guilty she felt about lashing out at Tobey

The boy had absolutely deserved some chastising, but she had gone too far, even giving others the encouragement to laugh at him. More than anything Becky believed in the power of words, so she knew exactly how what she said was probably affecting Tobey.

"What are you doing?" Violet asked, taking a break from sipping her juice box.

Becky didn't move. "I'm just thinking."

"About food?"

"No, about Tobey."

Scoops rolled his eyes. "He's just a jerk. Don't pay him any attention."

"But I was the one who lashed out at him!" Becky complained, poking at her lunch with a plastic spork. She had no appetite.

"I guess..." Violet sighed, growing quiet.

However, Scoops interrupted. "You're forgetting that he completely deserved it."

"He doesn't deserve to be practically bullied, though!" Becky frowned, looking down. "I'm supposed to set an example of being a good person, but... I really messed that up."