Ready Or Not, Here I Come

Tobey felt like he was flying through the city, running back towards his home with unmatched vigor, his legs burning and his heart pounding. He wasn’t used to sprinting for so long, but his motives kept him moving. It had taken him a little less than five minutes to reach his house, uncaring of how many zombies saw him in the process. 

The boy tossed open his front door, allowing it to slam against the exterior of the building. The handle created a small dent in the malleable surface, but Tobey ignored it and proceeded to race upstairs and into his bedroom. 

A gentle breeze was running through the small area due to the shattered window and a few dying leaves had blustered inside because of it. 

Immediately he made his way over to his drawing board, flipping through the stack of papers and blueprints that littered the surface. One fell down, landing on his shoe. He frowned, bending down to quickly pick it up and return it to the stack. 

His heart hurt when he realized which drawing it was. The same one that Becky had returned to him as Wordgirl after their night of flying. 

Instead of placing it back into the pile he shoved it into his back pocket, hoping that it would provide him at least some level of luck. He then continued to sift through the pile before coming across what he had originally been looking for, a blueprint depicting a terrifyingly large, looming robot. Tobey smirked, eyeing the plans with trained precision. He could only hope that he had enough time. 

The blueprints were for a new type of robot he had designed a few months ago but never found the right opportunity to make and show off. His plans were detailed, and he could only hope that they were accurately depicted so as to save him as much time as possible. 

He felt weird, putting on his apron and goggles. Normally when he got to building he felt like causing trouble, but now all he felt like doing was setting things right. Eradica had been created by his hands, and it would be by his that she was destroyed. Slowly his hand hovered over a screwdriver, almost scared to pick it up, however he narrowed his eyes and did so without a second thought. He flipped the tool comfortably in the air, catching it skillfully before kneeling down next to a stack of unused parts and swiftly getting to work.

Becky rubbed at the scratch trailing down her side and onto her leg. Only now was it beginning to heal, but the cramped space between the metal arms was both uncomfortable and terrifying. It had been a few hours since she had first been trapped and now an even more horrifying thought was coming over her. 

Tobey was gone.

Maybe he had made it out of the forest. Eradica was just a robot, and she could have been wrong about him coming back which provided little solace to the girl. She just wanted him to be safe, but she felt awful about how he probably thought that she hated his guts. If only things could have gone differently. For the first time in forever she felt like she was herself and not Wordgirl, but now that feeling had passed and she was jarringly brought back to exactly how she had felt before alone, lost, and left without any sense of self identity.  

She felt as if she had been trapped there for an eternity, but by trusting her senses she could tell that Eradica had left only around an hour ago, leaving her completely trapped and open to the elements around her. She went out to hunt for Tobey, and for all she knew, she could have succeeded and He could be dead. 

She shook her head. He was smarter than that, and wouldn't be caught so easily. "Where are you?" She breathed, staring into the sky above, wondering if somewhere out there he was safe and thinking about her.

Carefully Tobey stepped back, admiring his inventions with a wide, twisted smile. "I'm coming, Becky," he promised with a confident mumble. "Whether you want me to or not…"