1.2 | The Interview

Capítulo II- La entrevista

     Atsuki stopped in the middle of the pathway. The falling leaves passed by her, following the breeze. She tilted her head up at her mentor- supervisor- teacher- Atsuki didn't know who Gojou was but she looked up at him in shock. "I need to get accepted to go to this school? What if I don't- you realize I ran off without permission from my boss!" she exclaimed.

     Gojou's hands were in his jacket's pockets as he stared down at her. He wore the same white bandages as yesterday and his hair stuck up like a porcupine or at least that's what it reminded Atsuki of. "You'll be fine. It's not like you'll be alone, I'll be in there with you. Make sure to give it your all and be honest."

     Her shoulders tensed and she glared at him, pointing her sharp nail, "Fine. But if I fail, you have to help me find another circus and find me a place to stay or I'll make sure you put good use to those bandages."

     The smile on Gojou's face didn't falter, he was amused at the 13-year-old's threat. "Okay, it's a deal. Come on, I'm sure he's waiting."

     Atsuki hummed and crossed her arms. She continued walking with Gojou as a guide to the principal's office. They passed by rows of traditional Japanese architecture buildings of neutral browns. If it wasn't for the open area, it wouldn't have been noticeable. It was already deep in the mountains scattered with trees and the bundles of green leaves hiding the buildings.

     She quite liked the atmosphere at the school. The sun warming her smooth skin with the hint of breeze seemed to ease her nerves. Atsuki probably wouldn't have been nervous if Gojou told her about the interview with the principal. If she was able to perform in front of a crowd with hundreds of people, she can speak to the principal.

     Atsuki spoke again, her voice cut through her small heels clicking on the floor and the rustling leaves. "Don't people ever want to know what happens here or ask what this place is?"

     "To outsiders, it's known as a private religious school. A Buddhist temple." Atsuki nodded. They halted in front of a set of doors. Gojou opened the door for her and she took a step in.

     The flame on the candles wiggled from the wind the doors made. On every single supporting pillar was a singular candle, they were the only thing lighting up the room. One was beside a man who used yarn to create a doll. In fact, multiple dolls surrounded the man in glasses. He remained quiet focusing on finishing up the doll. When the heavy doors closed, he looked up. He had just finished the doll and set it beside him to join the other collection.

     Atsuki found it odd that he, a grown man, surrounded himself with dolls. They vary in size, some can fit in the palm of your hand and you can barely wrap your arms around others.

     "You're late," he stated.

     "I'm late?" Atsuki gestured to Gojou beside her, "He just told me I had an interview."