1.6 | Harsh Reality

Capítulo VI- La dura realidad

     Maki rested on the bed with a bored expression facing the tv. She turned her head to see the person she'd least expect her to visit turn the handle to her door and enter the bland hospital room. Atsuki timidly smiled at her but it disappeared when Maki questioned, "Why are you here?"

     Atsuki froze as the door closed behind her. She had to admit she was scared to go visit Maki, fearing she would kick her out of the room as she may just now. "Oh. Um, Ijichi was nice enough to drive me here. I wanted to keep you company because the others are back at the school with Gojou."

     Maki narrowed her eyes at her. "You don't have any friends do you?"

     Her statement caught Atsuki off guard. Her eyebrows narrowed and she remarked, "Says you, I've only seen Toge and Panda visit you."

     A smirk curved up on Maki, it amused her that Atsuki's timid personality vanished in seconds. "You got me there, Sugiyama. What are you doing here? It's embarrassing for you to see me like this."

     "Why? You got hurt fighting a curse."

     "Exactly. If it weren't for Yuuta, we'd have to get rescued."

     "I don't think it's embarrassing. I thought it was pretty cool." Maki looked at Atsuki as if she had two heads. She elaborated, "Yuuta told me what you did. You were able to take down three curses in one swing without flinching. He was also impressed."

     "You do know that curses that team up together are weak."

     "I don't think you give yourself enough credit." The chair Atsuki dragged next to Maki screeched against the floor and squeaked when she sat on it. "I would've dropped dead right there," a tint of red flooded her face. "I was scared and I didn't see a curse."

     Maki recalled when Atsuki withdrew the cards from her waist pocket at the mentioned death. She tilted her head up, nodding, "Hey, why do you carry around a deck of cards?"

     "I always do and Gojou said I can infuse them with my cursed energy and use them as weapons. But I'm still working on controlling my cursed energy."

     She rolled her eyes, "Of course, throwing cards. That idiot could've given you a shuriken or kunai."

     Atsuki frowned hearing Maki call Gojou an idiot. "I like doing card tricks and playing games. I showed Yuuta one yesterday. Throwing a kunai or a shuriken sounds super cool though! Back at the circus, there was a duo where one would be tied to a spinning wheel and the other would throw a kunai at the wood while he spun." She leaned forward, placing her elbows on the bed, and rested her chin on her palms. "Do you know how to throw them?"

     "Of course, I do. Although, I prefer my spear."

     "Can you teach me?"

     "I won't teach you if you think it's cool. I have better things to do other than helping you look cool."