1.12 | Aftermath

Capítulo XII- La secuela

     Painless, that's what it was. Atsuki wondered what it was like being dead. Did she have to constantly push her way through the suffering of missing what was or would be or if she feel nothing but peace? If you'd asked Atsuki from months prior to today, she would've felt nothing but peace. The Atsuki today would miss what her life was like. Over months, she developed new friendships all because a man-child entered her cart after the circus performance. Maybe if she hadn't been an idiot like Maki told her not to be she wouldn't be here. 

     But she was told not to regret things by Gojou. She didn't want to curse anyone or herself. Even if she missed her friends she would have to accept the fact that she was dead. Atsuki saw nothing but white around her. Every time she took a step, she felt like she was floating. She rubbed her eyes to clear the blurry vision, but it didn't work. It was like a dream. Her hand touched the back of her head and not a drop of blood wettened her fingers. The sharp sting shooting up her leg whenever she applied weight to it was gone, including the pulsing migraine revolving around her head.

      She lay on the ground and her arm cushioned her head. She shut her eyes for a second to rest after tiredness crashed into her body. It was a few seconds before she had them shut and Atsuki's eyes shot open, she was back in the real world. However, it wasn't the same spot. She was on a terrace. Turning to her right, Maki, Panda, and Inumaki were beside her.

     The first thing that came out of her mouth when Atsuki woke up was, "When did you get here?"

     "Satoru transported us here to save you guys," Panda explained.

     "Salmon."

     Panda's arm was missing and Atsuki pointed at it, "You lost an arm, are you okay?" She then glanced at Toge whose eyes were droopy. 

     Panda moved his arm around, only the elbow and down were missing, "I'm okay. This can be easily fixed."

     "Mustard leaf," Toge's eyes drifted to the specs of blood on Atsuki's shoulder.

     "I'm fine. I doubt I won't be sore tomorrow." Atsuki cringed feeling the wet blood sticking to her shirt to her upper back. She ignored it when Maki's leg moved. She gasped and crawled to Maki, her leg was intact and blood darkened her black tights. She didn't notice the patch of blood on the front of her white-stripped shirt until now. It was a stab wound. Atsuki put her hands on her shoulders, grinning, "You're okay, too!" She would've pulled her into a bone-crushing hug if Maki hadn't recently woken up.

     "Yeah, I'm all right. Better than I was anyway," she curled up, brushing her hair out of her face. "What the hell happened here?"

     Sharp wood stuck out of incomplete buildings, the cement underneath was cracked to rubble, and patches of dirt were exposed. The leafless trees and flowers decorating the campus were all burnt to crisps. However, it was just that pathway. Anything else around it was perfectly fine.