2.9 | The House Down the Street

Capítulo IX- La última casa de la called

     Nitta drove the car into the countryside. Atsuki, Megumi, and Nobara we're sat in the back seat in that order. Neither of the girls wanted to sit in the middle and forced him to take that place. He obliged to avoid any incoming argument. He held the tablet as Atsukiand Nobara hovered over his shoulder to read the overview of the mission. Well, Nobara did. Atsuki tried her best to read it. Living with the circus practically homeless made it difficult to learn anything when you have no one around. She was lucky she knew basic math. She waited for Nitta to go over the mission. She didn't want Megumi and Nobara to know she was illiterate.

     "Four months ago, a man was murdered and left dead. He was brutally stabbed in the eyes and the suspect fled the scene and has yet to be found. The victim's name was Shima Yaku. We believe he became a cursed spirit and killed his murderer," Nitta explained. She kept her eyes on the road and now and then she glanced back at the three teenagers.

     "And it's now just been found?" Nobara quirked an eyebrow, asking.

     "Unfortunately, yes. Some investors and people have gone missing. A window had reported this incident just last week."

      Atsuki leaned forward on her seat. "What do you mean people?"

     "Some townsfolk heard about this murder and the 'haunting' activity of the home. Some were eaten by the curse. Others were found mutilated. It's surrounded by gates and those who enter will be considered trespassers."

     Megumi questioned, "Has the location already been opened for us?"

     "Yes, I made sure before we left. We should be there in less than five minutes."

     Atsuki glanced out the window and there was only one house that stuck out in the field of dry grass. It grossed her out how it was the only home miles away from the previous how they saw. A metal fence surrounds the area with a barwire. The gate was already open and Nitta turned the wheel to the left to enter the area. It looked like a normal house except the windows were covered with wood and an unkempt lawn. Atsuki expected to see green peeling paint, black mold growing on the house, and moss growing on the rooftop.

     Atsuki slammed the door shut to the car. Her earrings jingled in the countryside summer breeze, her eyebrows furrowed looking at the blazing sun. It was much warmer here than it was at Jujutsu Tech. She couldn't imagine how hot it must be in the house they stood in front of. Megumi shut the car door and went around the car to meet up with Atsuki and Nobara. Nitta was not too far behind.

      "This is classified as a semi-grade one curse," Nitta said. "I'll set up a veil and wait for you three out here once the curse is exorcised."

     She looked at the house in front of them, feeling the curse energy oozing from the crevices of the home. Although it was a semi-grade one curse, she didn't want to enter the home. She didn't want Megumi and Nobara in there either. She wanted to drag them by their sleeves back into the car and drive off. Their friend had died a week ago and she was not ready to face curses this early. She was hoping she would get more training before, but since Gojou was in Africa with Yuuta, there was only so much he could do.