2.14 | A Change of Plans

Capítulo XIV- Un cambio de planes

     By the time the Tokyo and Kyoto students were put in position for the event, Atsuki was used to Yuuji's presence. She hadn't seen a head with pink hair walking around for two months and every time she glanced in his direction, she felt like she was dreaming. Although they knew he was dead without a beating heart, he was claimed dead on the scene by Ijichi. Jujutsu Sorcerers weren't exactly human, but they didn't come back from the dead either. If they did, they wouldn't be so afraid of dying in battle.

     But it wasn't just his presence that was off. It was the sad look on his face every time he zoned out. He always had a smile up front on his face even when he died. If they had met under different circumstances, Atsuki wouldn't be afraid to approach him on the street if she needed help. Whenever someone would call his name, Yuuji's face would instantly lift and his frown would be long gone.

     The Tokyo second and first years waited for Principal Yaga to announce the start of the competition. Atsuki stood with Panda, Nobara, and Yuuji underneath the shade. The edge of the building protected them from the heat as Inumaki, Maki, and Megumi strolled past them. Nobara stopped Yuuji and asked him, "What do you think of Maki-san?"

     Yuuji's face paled and his eyes widened. His face fell and looked at the floor below him, sweating underneath Nobara and Atsuki's stare. He stuttered, "I-I think she's a wonderful woman."

     "Huh?" Nobara crossed her arms, leaning against the cool wall. "I'm talking about as a sorcerer."

     "Oh, that? Good." He closed his eyes exhaling and he looked up, tucking his hands in his pants pockets. He peered over the wall at Maki walking with Megumi and Toge. His friends beside him copied him and ordered themselves from shortest to tallest to peer, excluding Yuuji who was at the bottom. "Honestly, I don't know that much about jujutsu, but she's really strong in a fight. Atsuki was right about her being strong. Maybe it's her balance? The way she walks is scary on its own."

     "You should've seen her a year ago, she warmed up to us since then," Atsuki pointed out.

     Nobara mentioned, "Maki-san's only a fourth-grade."

     "Huh?" Yuuji turned back up to them. "Seriously."

     "Yeah," Atsuki confirmed. "She's from the Zen'in clan. The Zen'in, the Gojou, and Kamo clans are the big three sorcerer families. They didn't recognize her talent so every time she trie to get promoted, the Zen'in get in the way to make sure they aren't proved wrong. It doesn't matter how strong she is."

     "But if she performs well at the exchange event and her name spreads around, it'll be harder for them to harass her like that," Panda added.

     Nobara's eyebrows furrowed and she jabbed at Yuuji, "So let's start by winning the group battle! Fight like you're gonna die again!"