Chapter 7- Intervention Time

*The Next Day*

Absentmindedly, I walked up the mountain to Class E with my head down. All I did was just stare at the road in front of me, ignoring the scenery. Karma... Then, in front of me were two black shoes. My eyes scanned up for the owner of the shoes; it was Asano. "It's rude to block other people's path," I said while shifting my weight to one side. 

Asano gave an amused smile. "It's funny you should say that."

  "What do you mean?" I asked. 

He leaned in close until his lips were right next to my ear and whispered, "Don't you think that Class E is the one blocking your path?" I flinched a little, but quickly regained my composure. 

"Not really. If anything it's this school and its principal's crappy system." I started to walk, but Asano stopped me again. 

"You've been paying attention in class, right? If you follow me, I'll let you take the exam again," he offered. My feet came to a halt and I looked at him, surprised. "Aren't you curious about what you're rank really is?" I didn't say anything, but judging from my expression, Asano knew what I was thinking. With a satisfied smile, he started to lead the way. I stared at the ground and followed him with heavy footsteps.

While I was taking the exam, Asano and Ren Sakakibara were outside having a conversation. "Are you really planning to let Katsumi-san come back?" Ren asked. 

"Depending on her scores," Asano replied nonchalantly. "Why? Are you against it?" 

"Of course I'm fine with it. Katsumi-san is really cute and has a different aura compared to the other girls in school," Ren said lightheartedly. He looked at Asano with a more serious expression. "What I'm surprised about is you, Asano. You didn't do anything when she got sent Class E. Did you realize you had feelings for her, or something?" 

"No..." he replied without any emotion. However, his mind was already processing the game plan to defeat his father. "Scouting... A method used by ants in order to find food. One ant wanders and searches for a food source and leaves a trail for the others to follow. What I need right now is for that scout to comeback with some of that food," Asano thought to himself.

After a few hours, I handed the papers to Asano, who gave it to the staff. He had them focus on grading my test, so it only took about an hour. Asano handed the test back to me and said, "Congratulations, you can come back to Class A." My rank was 3rd place. 

Even though I was surprised, it didn't faze my decision at all. "Thanks," I started to say. "But I'm not going t-." 

"Look it's Tsukino!" A voice whispered harshly. 

"What's she doing here? Wasn't she sent to Class E?" Another voice asked.

  "Maybe she's begging for her spot back." All the passers-by were laughing. Their meshed voices were grinding my ears. Suddenly, a warm touch muffled the background noise. Asano had his hands over my ears and looked at me with concerned eyes. Surprised by his actions, the students started to disperse. He removed his hands and placed them on top of my shoulders.  

"If you came back to Class A, you wouldn't have to deal with this," he said. I stared at him for a moment and then removed his hands. 

"This doesn't bother me at all though," I replied absentmindedly.

"What about your future? Do you really think Class E would benefit you?" Asano insisted. It's true that being in Class E means that your at the bottom of the food chain. That's a fact. However, it's only a fact to Asano's and the main building student's eyes. The principal was the one who created that fact. To me, a fact created by someone else is just someone else's perspective.