Chapter 19- Concentration Time

~The next day at school~

"Karma Akabane and Katsumi Tsukino are hereby expelled... Is what I would like to say."

"Can't do it because you're lapdog got scared, right?" I gave Gakuho Asano, the board chairman a cheeky smile, which caused him to give me a dry smile in return. He laid back in his office chair with his fingers intertwined. His cold purple eyes stayed fixed on me, as if trying to figure out how to force me into a corner. "Don't you think we have been seeing each other too often lately?" I asked, provoking him further.

"Perhaps," he considered. "But it seems that our encounters are not mere coincidence." After a brief pause, I got to the point.

"Are you going to keep enforcing that idiotic rule?" I asked. The smile on the board chairman's face grew darker and more sinister. The ominous aura he emitted and the calm stillness of his expression made me a little nervous. The bad part is, he noticed my anxiety and stirred it further.

"Karma Akabane is a fine student grade-wise," he started to say. "How is it hanging out with him?" I gave him a silence as an answer. "The two of you seem to stand out in Class E, so naturally you two draw my attention. Lately I've noticed that your grades seem to be slipping." There was amusement beneath the veil of concern. "Still going with the 'never studying' method?" It was the amusement of an opponent get humiliatingly and totally crushed. My jaw clenched.

"It's not really a method," I said. "I'm just going with my natural talent." There wasn't any strength in my voice. If anything it was more weak and trembling. Though, I'm not sure if I was wavering because of fear or frustration.

"Natural talent," he let the words settle in his mouth as if it was a new taste he never experienced. "Then, let's test the limits of this natural talent." I stood still, giving him a blank stare. It's not that the board chairman doesn't believe in natural talent. If anything, this meant that he is definitely going to try to expel me.

Then with a slight change of mood, he asked where Karma was. This was also another form of provocation. "Wasn't I the only one you had a problem with?" I asked to divert his focus. The board chairman chuckled a breathy laugh.

"You may leave," he said. I gave him a slight bow and walked out. After closing the doors behind me, a long sigh rolled out of my mouth. My back naturally hunched over and my knees bent a little. This is the first time the board chairman actually targeted me directly. I never felt so overwhelmed before.

~In Class E~

Koro-sensei handed back tests at rapid speed. In an instant, everyone was staring at the red-marked papers in front of them. Naturally Karma got a perfect score. He just stared at the test sheet, showing no reaction.

"Nice," I said, happening to see what he got.

"Yeah, well..." He sounded like he didn't care at all, and showed no interest. But then he turned to me with a sly smile. "Are you going to treat me to something?" I stared back at my test with a blank expression.

"Hmmm... Maybe," I murmured. Wrinkles formed on the paper around my fingers. My gazed burned on the red number 86. This was the lowest grade I've ever gotten.

"What did you get?" I flinched at Karma's voice. I looked at him, as he waited for an answer.

"Well... Around what I got last time," I said.

"Heh~." Karma left it alone at that. I stuffed my test into my bag with a cold expression. Last time I got a 91. It's just as the board chairman had said; my grades are getting lower. I rubbed my forehead and took a deep breath. I can't let my grades drop any further than this. But what am I supposed to do? This is the first time I was troubled about my grades. I don't even know how to study!