Chapter X

Xavier

I watch my father say something to Julia and in return receive a curt nod with a smile from her. I just knew that my father had kept tabs on both of his sons, but him talking more than a word to Julia was churning my insides in anxiety. To say I was scared shitless would be correct but much to my relief it didn't lasted longer. A few sentences here and there.

Julia looked relieved and a little happy after my father left here and was walking to us. "What did they say?" he asks. I nod in the direction of the room where Clarie was taken, "a nurse came by saying the doctor will call us soon." He nods and we go silent for a longer moment.

"You are not just fucking around with her, am I correct?" he asks.

Stunned, I nod, "you are correct, father."

He nods, "quite a spitfire if you ask." I smile on the compliment, partially on behalf of Julia and partially for the praise I got for her. She was truly a spitfire, how I even convinced her to be with me, tag along my side remains a mystery and I am not even interested in solving it. I'd rather have my attention on Julia.

Before any of us could speak, react, the doctor attending Clarie walks out of the room. It's been approximately 4 hours since they took her in. He beams at us, "The mother and the child both are safe and healthy. You may go inside but please be careful and try not to disturb them."

I nod at him, "Thanks doctor, we'll take care of them. NO worries." Instructing the men to guard the door as well the parameters I request dad to walk in the room first. He knocks on the door and when Clarie answers he walks in. My head turns in the direction where Julia was sitting but find the spot empty.

There was no sign of her in the hallway. My mind started running in circles as to where could she possibly go. Another round across the other side of the same floor I couldn't quite trace her. My boots thud on the floor when I make my way towards Clarie's room.

And there she was standing and frowning at the door. I was almost a second away turning the whole hospital upside down if Julia were to go missing. She turns to face me when I clear my throat and ask, "Where were you?" She smiles a little and replies, "I went to freshen up a little."

I hum in response and stand closer to her. She looks up at me, her eyes a little tired yet lit with a warm emotion running through those beautiful blue-green eyes of her. Leaning down I capture her lips in a small yet meaningful kiss which she returns back with a smile on my lips, "Good Morning, mi amore."

She laughs, the voice ringing in my head like some sweet charade, "You definitely lost some screws Romano." I grin, she wraps her hands around my arms and start tugging "C'mon I wanna met Clarie and the baby."

At the door she knocks and after a reply we push open the door gently and walk in. Father was sitting at a distance to the bed on which Clarie was holding on to her baby. She smiles when her eyes find us, but I could make out the dullness in her smile and for sure knew the reason for it.

Off course my brother missed out on the birth of his own son.

"Clarie", comes Julia's voice. I realize a second later that Julia had already walked past me and was standing beside the bed and looking down at Clarie. "Can you not be upset over some idiot who didn't even had the courtesy to show up late, even late but still didn't show up for the birth of his own son. No offense, but forget about Romano for now, think it like it's just you and your baby."

Clarie sniffs, "I am trying" –she sniffs- "I am really trying Julia, but look at him" –nodding to her new born son- "how can this pretty little guy's face not remind me of his father."