This showcases the true brotherhood

Have you heard of Abu Khaythamah Al Ansari Radiyallahu Anhu?

I know, you might haven’t but subhan’Allah he was one of the most loved companions of the Messenger of Allah ﷺ that you will find his name in every seerah written about the Messenger of Allah ﷺ.

He wasn’t a popular one - but the love for the sake of Allah that they shared together with our beloved Messenger of Allah ﷺ was so strong and beautiful - and here’s one instance that showcased that.

When the battle of Tabuk took place during the 9th of Hijrah where 30,000 of the companions went with the Messenger of Allah ﷺ, some could not go - and one of them was Abu Khaythamah.

Remember that during these days, the weather in Madinah was extremely hot and one particular day, Abu Khaythamah returned to his family to find two huts in his garden. Each hut sprinkled with cool water for him and prepared food for him.

When he saw this, a thought struck his mind: “The Messenger of Allah ﷺ  is being exposed to sun, wind and heat while Abu Khaythamah is in cool shade, has food prepared, and rests with a beautiful woman on his estate. This is unjust.”

He then told himself that he will not enter either of the huts rather he will join the Messenger of Allah ﷺ. So he asked food to be prepared for him and off he went to travel and catch up with the Messenger of Allah ﷺ.

When he drew near the camp in Tabuk, people notified the Messenger of Allah ﷺ, saying that a rider was approaching and to this, he ﷺ said: “[Let it] be Abu Khaythamah” and the people said: “O Messenger of Allah ﷺ, he is, by Allah, Abu Khaythamah.”

My dear brothers and sisters in Islam, let us ponder well from this story

My dear brothers and sisters in Islam, let us ponder well from this story. It shows that a Muslim is a person of real conscience and affection towards his fellow believer - as this is one of the teachings of Islam.

When Abu Khaythamah saw the nice atmosphere that was waiting for him in his house, he suddenly remembered that the Messenger of Allah ﷺ is in harsh condition - and that made him feel guilty that his conscience made him feel compelled to leave. And, it was said that his mind could not rest and he felt restricted until he reached the Messenger of Allah ﷺ. Only after that, he became appeased and happy.

This showcases the brotherhood of Islam - the connection that we all should share towards each other. And just look at how the connection of the Messenger of Allah ﷺ towards his companions - he knew it was Abu Khaythamah that was approaching and this was due to  their closeness that he knew the nature and personality of his companions.

As he once said: “The parable of the believers in their affection, mercy, and compassion for each other is that of a body. When any limb aches, the whole body reacts with sleeplessness and fever.” [1]

Now, reflect. Do you think you have same connection towards your fellow believers? I do not say that you have to travel and be with them physically, but do you even make du’a for them?

A small act of charity goes a long way. Do what you can, take advantage of the technologies and campaigns that you hear - you do not need to be totally involved if that is not your thing - but help in ways that you can.

We are one Ummah, we are Muslims. As you finish reading this, take advantage of this blessed month, include thy fellow believer in your du’a. 

May Allah rekindle our hearts to be more connected to our fellow believers and make us people who are able to always lend a helping hand for his Sake.

Amin.

Zohayma

_____

Story was taken from:

• Sahih Muslim, Hadith 2769
• As Sirat An Nabawiyyah by Ibn Hisham 4/164
• Al Bidayah wa Nihayah 4/660
• As Sirat An Nabawiyyah by As Salabi 2/607-610

[1] Sahih Bukhari, Hadith 5665 and Sahih Muslim, Hadith 2586