Helping the poor

Abdullah Bin Omar (radi Allahu anhuma) never ate food without feeding a poor along with himself.

Whenever the dining mat was laid for him and by chance any distinguished person passed by, his family used to request him to join in food.

Sayyiduna Abdullah (radi Allahu anhu) never invited any well-to-do person to eat with him. But whenever he saw a poor man passing by his door, he used to request him to join. 

He used to say: 
�My family calls a person to food who has no want of food and neglect a person who wants food.� 

On one ocassion, people admonished the wife of Sayyiduna Abdullah Bin Omar (radi Allahu anhuma) for not serving her husband in a proper way. She asked what else she could do to please him. She said:�Whenever I prepare a special dish for him, he requests a beggar to join him in food.� The beggars knew his habit and sat along his route he passed by. His wife requested the beggars not to sit along the way of her husband.

When Sayyiduna Abdullah Bin Omar (radi Allahu anhuma) came out of the Mosque after performing the prayer, he sent for the beggars from their dwelling places.
They did not turn up as Sayyiduna Abdullah�s (radi Allahu anhu) wife had instructed them not to respond to the call of her husband.

Sayyiduna Abdullah (radi Allahu anhu) got so much upset that he did not take his food that evening.