A Heart filled with contentment

Umar bin Khattab saw the simple life of Prophet Muhammed (saws) and said:
O Messenger of Allah (SWT)!
While kings sleep in soft, feather beds, you are lying on a rough mat. You are the Messenger of Allah (SWT) and thereby deserve more than any other people to live an easy life.

Prophet Muhammed (saws) was reported to have replied: Do you not agree that the luxuries of the world should be theirs but those of the hereafter ours? (Bukhari).

➡Imagine the devastation of the Prophet ﷺ when he lost his son Ibrahim.
He was around 60 years old when he had him, and he was so happy that he would take Ibrahim to companions just so they could see him.
When he passed away the Prophet ﷺ wept.

But what did he say?

“The eyes shed tears and the heart is saddened, but we do not say anything except that which pleases our Lord. Indeed, O Ibrahim, we are bereaved by your departure from us.”

This teaches us that being content with Allah (swt) does not mean that we cannot feel sad or disappointed; but we carry no anger or resentment towards Allah.

➡A final example is the companions ‘Umran bin Hussayn (ra). He was one of the companions who took part in the battles with the Prophet ﷺ and was a fierce fighter.
However, he got paralyzed from the waist down for thirty years until he passed away.

Some of the other companions saw him and cried – because they knew what he used to be. But he replied to them, saying:

“You cry, but I am content. I love what Allah loves, and I am content with what Allah is content with, and I am happy with what Allah chooses. I remain in this state and by Allah I can feel the Angels around me glorifying Allah. Allah is testing my contentment with Him, so bear witness that I am content.”

 We always think about more rather than saying, "Alhamdulillah," for what we already have.

"Contentment is not the fulfillment of what you want, but the realization of how much you already have."

Prophet Muhammed (saws) said:

"Remember death repeatedly. This will save you from longing for the worldly pleasures. Show gratitude frequently and this will increase the graces upon you. Pray to Allah (SWT) so recurrently, because you do not know in which time Allah (SWT) will respond for your prayer. Beware of tyranny, for Allah (SWT) has ordained that HE will support those whom are oppressed."

We tend to forget that happiness doesn't come as a result of getting something we don't have, but rather of recognizing and appreciating what we do have.

 The Prophet was truthful when he said: “Richness is not the abundance of wealth; rather, it is self-contentment.” 
O Allah, make us content with what You have given us and make us the most contented people of what You have decreed to us of provisions. Aameen...