Importance of Qayam ul layl

Dawud 'alayhisalam: The Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said, 

Dawud was the most devout worshipper from Mankind.’ 
Sahih Muslim, al-Tirmidhi, al-Hakim

The most beloved of fasts to Allah is the fast of Dawud. He used to sleep half of the night, stand up in prayer for a third of it and sleep a sixth of it, and he used to fast on alternate days.’
Sahih al-Bukhari

Al-Hasan al-Banna: ‘The minutes of the night are expensive so do not render them cheap by heedlessness.’

One of the Salaf used to say: ‘For 40 years, nothing has upset me as much as the rise of dawn.’ (i.e. marking the end of tahajjud)

‘Amr ibn al-Aswad used to have an expensive garment of 200 dirhams which he wore exclusively for the night prayer.
Al-Bidayah wa al-Nihayah, by Ibn Kathir (8/26)

Abu Salman al-Darani: ‘If it wasn’t for the Night prayer, I wouldn’t have liked to remain in this world.’

Thabit Al-Banaani said: “There is nothing I enjoy more than Qiyamulail.”

Mu’adhah al-‘Adawiyyah, one of the righteous Tabi’at spent her wedding night; along with her husband Silah Ibn Ashyam, praying until Fajar.

When her husband and son were killed in the land of jihad, she would spend the whole night in prayer, worshiping and beseeching Allah, and she would sleep during the day. If she felt sleepy whilst she was praying at night, she would tell herself: “O soul, there is plenty of sleep ahead of you.”

Qiyamulail is “sunnah mu’akkadah” (confirmed Sunnah), which the Prophet SAW urged us to do when he said, “You should pray Qiyamulail, for it is the habit of the righteous people who came before you, and it will bring you closer to your Lord, expiate for bad deeds, prevent sin, and expel disease from the body.” [Al-Tirmidzi and Ahmad].

According to a hadith, the Prophet SAW said: “The best of prayers after the prescribed prayers is the Night prayer.’.”Muslim

Allah has praised them and distinguished them from others in the Qur’an, where He says:
“Is one who is obedient to Allah, prostrating himself or standing (in prayer) during the hours of the night, fearing the Hereafter and hoping for the Mercy of his Lord (like one who disbelieves)? Say: ‘Are those who know equal to those who know not?’ It is only men of understanding who will remember.” [Al-Zumar, 39:9]

Qiyamulail is an act of worship that joins the heart to Allah and enables it to overcome the temptations of life and to strive against one’s own self, at the time when voices are stilled, eyes are closed in sleep, and sleepers are tossing and turning in their beds. Therefore Qiyamulail is one of the measures of sincere determination and one of the qualities of those who have great ambitions.