Anything for the cause of Allah

The Messenger of Allah (saws) instructed the companions to prepare for battle, and every household in Medina busied itself in preparation. Some women were preparing their fathers; others were preparing their brothers, and still others were preparing their husbands and sons.

In one house, a nursing mother was holding her baby in her arms and crying. Her husband had been martyred earlier and now there were no mature males to send to battle. After crying for a long time, she hugged her baby to her breast and went to the Messenger of Allah (saws). She placed the baby in front of the Prophet (saws) and said “Please accept my baby in your service.” The Messenger of Allah (saws) was surprised and asked how a baby could participate in battle.

The lady broke down and said that there were no mature males in her house to prepare for war. She pleaded with the Prophet (saws) to accept her baby. However, the Prophet (saws) asked the same question again.

The woman sighed and said, “Give this child to a warrior who does not have a shield. He can put this child forward when the enemy let loose their arrows. This baby may not be able to carry a sword, but at least he will be able to stop the arrows of the enemy.”

Such was the love of this lady that she would sacrifice her own nursing child in the cause of Allah!