Finding comfort only in Allah

Hey, can I talk to you? Uhm, there’s just something I want to say.

I feel very… depressed, I want to feel better. 

It’s just there’s no one there for me

I’m all alone. 
_____

Come, let us pray. 

Seriously, it is fascinating that sometimes when we find people that would advice us of go make du’a, or read the Qur’an or pray tahajjud, they get irritated or somehow angry and say, we are humans and we just need someone to talk to.

Yes, that is true, that we are humans and we do need someone to talk to at times, but what makes it all go wrong is when we seek the comfort from them, and I know you know what this comfort I mean.

Yes, they will eventually make us feel that sense of not being alone or that there is someone for us out there but don’t you realize that by that very moment it comes to your head that its all because you didn’t recognize the One who has been with you all these time? The One who you run to the last when He should have been the First? 

Let me tell you something. I’ll make this very brief. 

Rememeber when we read about ‘Uthman Ibn Affan Radiyallahu Anhu, when he lost his wife then in a matter of days he lost his son, the Sahabah and even the prophet Muhammad saws was there to comfort him, but to whom did he turn to? To Allah, first and foremost. 

Remember when Julaybib Radiyallahu Anhu was feeling low and depressed because of how he looked and how he was treated, he turned and did his best to perfect his worship, and look how Allah comforted him by making the Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam take him as his own.

Remember when Ammar Radiyallahu Anhu lost his parents, and him seeing them martyred infront of his eyes, where did he find comfort in? In the words of Allah and the promise of Allah that they are indeed the first martyrs of Islam!  

Remember when Prophet Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam whenever a calamity would come to him (e.g. the death of his beloved Khadijah and son), he would call out on Bilal saying, “O Bilal, call the iqamah for salah, and comfort us by it!” [Abu Dawud]

Look at the situations where they were placed, are you (who is reading this) placed on a greater lost, a greater calamity? Imagine, if you were Ammar who saw his own parents killed infront of him, would you act the same way as Ammar? 

Or if you were ‘Uthman, would you act the same way or would you let depression eat you whole? 

I am telling you, because I have been there, nothing can give you the comfort you truly need except Allah, so seek it in Him, not from anyone else.
______