xvii.

Isla sat in her room, staring at the ceiling. In the couple of days since Klaus had daggered Rebekah, Isla hadn't spoken to her brother. She knew what it felt like to be trapped in a coffin, and Klaus knew how she felt about it. 

"What are you doing, little sister?" Isla turned her head to see Klaus standing in the doorway. "It's been almost a week." Isla folded her arms. 

"I am here because right now, I don't want to talk to you. So, get out." Klaus stepped into the room. 

"Come on, you can't be that mad at me. I mean, Rebekah-" Isla stood up, face red with anger. 

"I am mad, because I know exactly how it feels. I know what it feels like to be trapped, unable to move because you're stuck in a box. I know how it feels because it's exactly what our mother did to me." The last comment stuck with Klaus. He said nothing. Isla sighed. She knew that Klaus didn't come down here to make snarky comments about Rebekah's predicament. "What do you want, anyway?" Klaus folded his arms. 

"Well, I was going to ask if you wanted to come to this winter wonderland charity event, but I can go alone, if you want to stay here and pout." Isla huffed. 

"No... I'll go." Klaus smiled. 

"Great. We leave in ten minutes." He turned and walked back upstairs. 

As soon as they showed up, Klaus left Isla's side to find Caroline. Isla sighed. 

"I figured this would happen." She wandered over to the drink table to get a glass of champagne.  As the Christmas music played, she watched as the kids played in the fake snow. She smiled, remembering the feeling of childhood happiness. 

As the night went on, Isla made conversation with a few people. At some point, she went to use the bathroom. On her way, she could hear someone yelling. Opening the bathroom door, Isla found Caroline unconscious on the ground, with a girl in a sash taking her pulse. The young girl looked up at Isla. 

"She's not breathing." Isla sighed, bending down. 

"Okay, I'm sure she's fine." With vampire speed, Caroline was up and blocking the doorway, staring at the girl. 

"Where's Hayley?" Isla put her hands on her hips, confused.

"Who?" Caroline sighed, pulling out her phone. The girl next to Isla started freaking out. 

"You didn't have a pulse. You were dead." Caroline went to call someone. 

"Stefan, it's me. That little werewolf slut has lost her mind. Go to the Lockwood cellar and make sure Rebekah's body is still there. I'm gonna find Tyler. Hayley is trying to screw this up." She hung up the phone. She then compelled the girl to forget what just happened. As soon as the girl left the bathroom, Caroline sighed. Isla folded her arms. 

"What's going on?" Caroline brushed her off, leaving the bathroom. Isla sighed. She hated being out of the loop. 

She walked outside to find Klaus, covered in blood, dunking a woman's head into the fountain. She immediately moved her hand, and Klaus let go of the woman. He looked up at her, rage filling his eyes. 

"Klaus? What are you doing?" The woman caught her breath before Klaus went to dunk her back in the fountain. "Klaus, stop!" Isla grabbed Klaus's shoulders, but he pushed her away. 

"Go home, little sister. You can't stop me." Isla stood up straight. 

"I have had it with you telling me what I can't do." She waved her hand, and the water parted to allow the woman to breathe. Klaus glared at her. 

"Fine. You want to play it that way?" He grabbed the woman's head with both hands, and snapped her neck. He stood up, walking past her without saying a word. Isla was unable to move, speechless.