xxii.

While Klaus and Rebekah carried out their plan, Isla was using magic to check in on them, curious to see if their plan would work. She could see flashes of Klaus talking to Marcel. She could also hear the occasional sentence. 

"I'm afraid my sister Rebekah is insisting I demand Elijah's return. She's quite worked up about it."

"I'll say." 

"If I hand Elijah back now, it might give the wrong impression about who's really in charge here. You know what I mean?"

"You understand, I had to ask." 

Isla opened her eyes. She was frustrated, but she knew this was a possibility. Standing up, she went downstairs to get a glass of water. 

As she was drinking her glass, Isla noticed the condensation on the glass. Each time the water from the condensation hit her skin, she felt a strange, almost calming sensation. She didn't know what it was. As soon as she put her glass down, the skin on her hands felt very dry. 

After a while, Klaus and Rebekah came back with a girl Isla assumed was a witch. They went into the study and closed the door. Hayley came downstairs and propped herself to eavesdrop on the conversation. From where Isla was standing, she could hear bits and pieces of the conversation. 

"We need you to perform a teeny, tiny locator spell to help us find our brother." Rebekah's voice came through. 

"Witches who practice magic in this town get caught, and then they get killed." Isla guessed this was the witch talking. 

"Yes, about that. It seems you left out a crucial detail when we made our deal--Marcel's secret weapon, the way he knows when a witch is using magic.." Klaus responded. 

"Girl about yea high, cute as a button, anger issues?" Rebekah finished his sentence. There was silence for a second, then 

"Davina? Where have you seen her?" 

"I don't know. The little brat erased my memory right after she threw me out a window with her bloody mind." Isla chuckled at Rebekah's words. 

"Let me cut to the chase. Davina has Elijah. You witches, I assume, want to get Davina away from Marcel. We don't know where she is. Ergo, we need magic." Klaus interjected. There was a pause, Isla assumed the witch was mumbling something. "Unless, of course, another witch—- say, a traitor to the cause, Katie for example—- was to perform much more powerful magic at the same time. That would create a smokescreen, concealing your very small spell from Davina." Isla knew Klaus was only trying to reason with the witch to buy himself time to get Elijah back from Marcel. 

Later that night, while Klaus and Rebekah were putting the rest of their plan into action, Isla was watching one of the witches do an old wives trick to determine the gender of Hayley's baby. Hayley was lying on a table while the witch dangled a necklace over her stomach. The witch smiled. 

"I think it's a girl." The necklace then started swinging a different way. "No, wait..." Hayley looked up at her, concerned. 

"Wait what? Please tell me I'm not having a mini-Klaus." Isla chuckled, but her smile faded when the necklace started glowing. The witch dropped the necklace, and then her eyes rolled back, and she started chanting. 

"Hoc est infantima malom. Nos omnia perditu el eam." Isla didn't know what it meant as she didn't know New Orleans witch magic, but it couldn't have been good.