xl.

The compound wasn't the same with Rebekah gone. There was this tension between Elijah and Klaus. Even though they had "made up" a month ago, things weren't the same. To make things worse, Klaus was now sleeping with one of the witches that tried to destroy the Mikaelsons. 

Isla stood in the doorway as said witch was leaving. Klaus was standing at his easel, and Elijah was standing a few feet away, berating the hybrid. 

"You do recall that... woman tortured our sister." Klaus scoffed. 

"She also revealed the truth about our sister's treachery." Elijah sighed.

"And as a consequence, Rebekah is gone forever." 

"A desire which she apparently harbored for quite some time." Klaus commented. Elijah turned around to face him.

"Niklaus, it has been a month. Now I feel our sister's loss as deeply as you, but you must stop distracting yourself with this ridiculous behavior and channel it into some kind of action." Klaus stormed over to the paintbrushes, picking them out with anger.

"Why must I exactly?" He asked, dipping the paintbrush in the paint.

"Because over the course of Marcel's tenure, the city grew accustomed to having a king." Elijah replied. "You wanted this throne. Now you must accept the responsibility that accompanies that." 

"Apologies..." Klaus muttered. "But I'm rather ensconced in other pursuits." He resumed his painting. Elijah walked over and grabbed the paintbrush out of his hand. 

"If you can so easily neglect your home, I wonder what will become of your daughter." Isla pinched the bridge of her nose in annoyance. Her two brothers have had this same conversation since Hayley got pregnant. "Have you forgotten what it was like to live beneath the threat of violence? We must work together, Niklaus." He pleaded. "Let's make this city whole again." Klaus stepped toward Elijah.

"Perhaps it is too broken to mend." He reached past Elijah to grab the paintbrush before going back to the painting. 

"If you won't do anything, I will." Elijah promised. He then turned around and walked out of the room. Isla rolled her eyes. Another fun conversation in the Mikaelson compound. 

"Got something to say?" Isla turned her head to face Klaus. He kept painting. 

"Oh no, nothing." She said with sarcasm. "Only that you both need to get over yourselves." She folded her arms. "You can't hide in here painting forever." Without leaving room for Klaus to speak, she walked downstairs. 

As Elijah dealt with the city and Klaus painted, Isla sat in the open part of the compound, reading up on mermaids. She was about halfway through the second book in her pile when she felt a drop on her hand. She looked up at the sky, where rain was beginning to fall, and then her eyes widened. 

"Damn it." She huffed, grabbing her books and sprinting upstairs. She had just closed the door to her bedroom when her legs transformed into a tail and she fell to the ground. Sighing, she reached for a blanket on her bed. She would have to have a towel lying around for situations like this. She started to dry herself off when she heard a knock on the door. 

"Can I come in?" It was Elijah's voice. Isla quickly scrambled to dry herself off.

"Just a second." She had just gotten the last water droplet off of her when Elijah opened the door. He looked at her on the floor, and raised an eyebrow.

"What are you doing on the floor?" Isla shrugged, noticing that her clothes had returned with her legs. 

"Nothing. Just wanted to lay on the floor." She cleared her throat, changing the conversation. "What do you want?" Elijah nodded.

"We're throwing a party here tonight. Do try to be there." Isla laughed. 

"So your solution to conflict is a party? Great leadership tactics, Elijah." Elijah shook his head, rolling his eyes at his sister's humor. Once he was gone, Isla stood up. She wondered how long she was going to be able to keep this a secret. 

As the day turned into night, the party started. Isla mainly kept to herself, observing the vampires, witches, and werewolves. She knew that there was a chance the party could end in disaster.

After a while, and a few drinks, she spotted a familiar face. 

"Davina!" She exclaimed. The young witch looked in her direction and raised an eyebrow, confused. Isla grabbed her hands, grinning. "I am so glad you're back. You are pretty much the only witch in this town that I actually like." Davina chuckled.

"Thanks, I guess?" Isla giggled, letting go of Davina's hands.

"Alright, well I'm gonna go get another drink. Enjoy the party." Isla turned around and wandered over to the drink table. As soon as she grabbed a glass, she heard a noise. She barely had time to get out of the way before a guy was launched in her direction. He took down the drinks table, champagne spilling everywhere. Isla took a few steps back to avoid getting splashed. 

Diego immediately charged at the guy. The guy then pinned Diego against a pillar. He was about to go for a punch when Elijah grabbed him by the neck and slammed his upper body down on a nearby table. 

"This ends now." He ordered. "I won't ask again." 

"Oh, we'll end it alright." Elijah turned his head to see another man holding a stake aimed right at Diego's heart. Elijah looked apprehensive.

"What's stopping you?" All eyes turned to the pregnant werewolf standing on the stairs. "Kill him. Go ahead, Elijah. Do it." She took a step off the stairs. "I mean, it's not like he doesn't deserve to die. I mean, it was Oliver who handed Rebekah over to the witches so they could torture her. But then again, wasn't it Diego who led a werewolf massacre last month? And the witches cursed the wolves, while the humans stood back and let it all happen. So when you think about it, everyone here deserves to die." Elijah sighed.

"Are you approaching a point?" Hayley nodded.

"My point, Elijah, is this. If we can't all learn to get along, if our families can't create some sort of community, then what's the point? Kill each other, and get it all over with." Elijah looked down at Oliver, and then released his hold on him. The other man let go of Diego. 

"Well, this is a fun party." Isla murmured to Klaus before taking another sip of her champagne.