lii.

"Why don't you say what you came here to say, so that this wretched night can end?" Klaus asked. Isla never took her eyes off of the conversation, fearing that if she did, her mother would try to put her back to sleep. Esther sighed.

"It pains me that you, Elijah, and Isla look at me with such disdain. I wish you could see that my every action has been to protect you." Isla's grip on her fork tightened. Klaus scoffed.

"You actually believe that, don't you?" Esther looked at Isla. 

"If I was trying to hurt you, why would I have brought your father back?" Isla quickly glanced upstairs before returning to her meal. Klaus didn't buy it for a second.

"I knew you were a liar, but now I see you're utterly delusional." Esther turned her attention back to her other bastard child. 

"If you can, forget the hatred that you cling to and remember all the times I've mended and healed you." Klaus chuckled. Isla looked over at Elijah, who looked almost as uncomfortable as she was. "Elijah, do you recall the day Niklaus challenged your father to a duel?" Elijah looked over at Klaus. "Did I leave your brother to die alone? What did I say when you came to me and asked me to help him?" Elijah sighed.

"That you would rather die than to watch any of your children suffer." Isla took another big sip of wine, chuckling at the irony of that statement. Finn shot her a look, to which she shrugged. After a few seconds, it seemed Klaus realized something.

"The necklace." He thought out loud. "It wasn't spelled to protect me." He looked up at Esther, tears beginning to form in his eyes. "It made me weak." 

"I sought to protect you from yourself." Esther shot back. "If you would've killed your father in that duel or anyone else over the course of your life, you would've activated your curse." Isla's eyes widened. So many revelations happening during this conversation.

"You ruined me." Klaus accused, slamming his hands down on the table. "You left me to suffer at the hands of a father who valued only strength." Esther frowned.

"I kept you from becoming a beast for as long as I possibly could." Klaus shook his head.

"Oh, you lied to me to hide your own transgressions because of your own fear. And what about Isla, hm? Did you weaken her too? Didn't want Mikael finding out about both of your bastards?" Isla was speechless, only being able to listen to the conversation. "My whole life, I sought the approval I was denied by the man I thought was my father. You turned me into the weakling he hated. Look at me!" He shouted the last part. "You rant and you rage about the monster I've become, but you, mother, you are the author of everything I am." 

Esther sat back in her chair, looking over at Finn, and suddenly, she passed out. Elijah quickly caught her before she could hit the floor. He sat her back up and pressed his finger to her throat. Hearing the commotion, Adair came downstairs.

"Everything alright?" He looked at Isla, who just shrugged. 

"I don't know." Adair sat down next to Isla and put his hand on her shoulder. The two looked at Elijah, who was still checking for a pulse.

"She's gone." He announced. Without a second thought, he charged at Finn, who blocked his attack. He then threw Elijah on the table before turning around to face Klaus.

"Where is she?" Klaus yelled. Finn moved his fingers, and Klaus collapsed in pain. He then looked over at Isla and her dad. 

"Enjoy your time with your father, sister." He sighed, a hint of sadness in his eyes. "Because you don't have much time left." He left the room, and Isla looked over at Adair.

"What is he talking about?" Adair hesitated, not initially wanting to tell his daughter. But he figured she had to know. 

"Listen, Isla. When your mother brought me back, she only brought me back for a short time. So that I could get to know you." Tears formed in the blonde's eyes. She immediately stood up and ran out of the room. Adair went right after her. 

"So what does that mean?" Adair sighed. 

"By the time the sun rises tomorrow, I'll be gone." The tears started to fall as Isla shook her head.

"No. This is not happening. I'm not losing you when I just found you." Adair put his hands on her shoulders to calm her down. 

"Isla, listen to me. I knew going into this I wouldn't have much time. But I wanted to get to know you. I had to, especially since I never got to meet you the first time. And I am so glad that I got this chance, because I am so proud of you. I know that the Mikaelsons is not an easy family to be born into, and my biggest regret is not being able to have saved you from all that trouble. But I am so proud of the way you've grown through it and become a better person. Now, dry those tears because I have one last request." Isla stopped hyperventilating. 

"What?" She asked. Adair smiled sadly.

"I want to die a merman's death, in the sea. If we leave soon, we can get there in time." Isla wiped the tears from her eyes and hugged him. 

"Okay. Let's go to the beach." As Klaus and Elijah were in the next room, they left. 

The drive to the beach was quiet. Isla couldn't say anything without bursting into tears. And she couldn't do that yet. When they got to the beach, they got out of the car. Adair sighed. 

"I've always loved the sea. It's my home. And I'm glad I get to see it with you one last time." He had tears in his eyes as he turned to look at her. Isla took her shoes off but kept her bracelet on, and the two went into the water. 

The sun was starting to rise, and the water was up to Isla's waist. Adair brought her in for one last hug as his legs turned into a tail. "I love you so much, Isla. Remember that. And remember that you're not just a Mikaleson. You're my daughter too." Isla lowered him down into the water, tears streaming down her face. 

"I love you too dad. And I won't forget. I promise." Adair reached up to brush her hair out of her face. Isla could see the sun rising over the horizon. She grabbed his hand, squeezing it. She watched as the sun rose and the life drained from Adair's face. He smiled, closing his eyes one last time. His grip on her hand loosened, and he took one last breath. Isla rested her forehead on his forehead before moving the current to take him underwater. 

"Goodbye dad." She whispered, staring out at the spot where her dad used to be.