xxxviii.

Isla couldn't talk. Her throat was so dry that she couldn't speak. Not that she had the strength to. She could only stare at the ground as she waited for whatever this was to kill her. None of her siblings could help her, they were all being tortured and/or killed by the witches. 

She leaned back, turning her gaze to the ceiling, and closed her eyes. Any minute now. 

Then, after what felt like hours, the sudden dehydration and overheating vanished. Isla opened her eyes in confusion, looking around for someone who could have possibly have saved her. That had to be the only explanation for what just happened. Slowly, she felt her energy come back. She moved her hands to see if whoever had saved her had removed the spell on the ropes, but nope. 

Tied to the chair, Isla couldn't really do much but wait for someone to find her. She didn't know how long this would take, but she wasn't in a position to be really impatient. So, she waited. Occasionally, she would doze off and wake up. She had no idea how much time was passing. It seemed like whatever she had just went through made her very tired. 

Eventually, she heard a voice outside. She couldn't quite figure out who it was, but she knew she recognized the voice. 

"Hello?" She called out, hoping the person could hear her. The voice stopped, then she heard footsteps lead up to the mausoleum. 

"Isla?" The voice called out, and the door started to open. Isla watched the door. As the door opened, she saw who had come for her. 

"Marcel!" She exclaimed. He ran over to undo the ropes. "Celeste spelled them. I don't think you'll be able to..." With a snap, the rope split in two. Isla rolled her eyes. Of course. The spell was that she wouldn't be able to take the ropes off. As soon as the ropes were off, Marcel stood in front of her. 

"What happened? We've been looking for you all day." Isla slowly stood up, but after a night of excruciating pain, her knees buckled under her. Marcel noticed this, and he grabbed her arm and brought it around his shoulder. 

"The witches kidnapped me. And then they put some kind of spell on me. I think it mostly wore off, though." After a few minutes of walking, Isla was steady enough to walk by herself. "How are my siblings?" Marcel sighed.

"Well, Rebekah and Klaus are missing, and Hayley and Elijah are trying to solve a puzzle Celeste left for them. Elijah thinks it could help them find Rebekah and Klaus." Isla nodded. 

When they got back to the compound, Isla was immediately brought into a hug by Elijah. 

"Are you alright? What happened?" Isla chuckled. 

"I'm fine. Mostly." She ignored the look Elijah gave her and sat on the couch. "So, how can I help?" Elijah folded his arms. 

"You are not doing anything. We don't know what Celeste did to you, and if anything goes south, Marcel and I can heal. You are staying here with Hayley." Isla threw her hands up in frustration. "I'm serious." Isla sighed.

"Fine. But I can still do magic. Are there any spells I can do?" Elijah thought about it for a moment. 

"I'll let you know if we need you to do any spells." He looked at Marcel. "We should go figure out this list." The two men left, and Isla went upstairs to grab her mother's grimoire. Maybe there was a spell in there she could use to find her siblings. 

After a few hours of searching, Isla gave up. She could barely focus enough to read. Closing the book, Isla looked up at the stairs. Maybe a bath would help. And she did feel like she had been dragged through dirt. She walked up the stairs and into the bathroom. 

She turned on the water and let the tub fill up. She kept her phone handy in case Elijah called, and the grimoire next to it. Once the tub was filled up enough, she got in. Lying down in the tub, she closed her eyes, hoping for some relaxation. 

But her relaxation was interrupted by a sudden leg cramp. She winced, opening her eyes to look at her legs. When she looked at her legs, her jaw dropped. 

Where her legs should be was a tail, covered in light blue scales. In shock, she moved, and the tail moved with her. She couldn't take her eyes off the tail.

What the hell was happening to her?

*

A/N:

I'm sorry if this chapter doesn't make a lot of sense. This week is finals week for me, so I took a break from studying to write this chapter. I'll go back and edit this chapter after I'm done with finals. But until then, enjoy!