xxxii.

Isla opened her eyes and sat up. The memories that had just been uncovered were floating around her head. She looked up at Davina, who was standing in front of her, arms folded. 

"You good?" Isla nodded, standing up. 

"Yeah. I remember everything." She wanted to hug Davina, but she didn't know the teenager that much. "Thank you for doing this, Davina." Davina gave her a quick smile then went back to packing her things. 

As Isla walked back to the compound, she had time to process her memories. She had lived with the Parker family for four months in 1990. She had fallen in love. And her mother took it away from her. 

Once she got back to the compound, she slammed her bedroom door shut and flopped on her bed. It wasn't fair. Twenty years had passed since Isla was in Oregon. Kai was definitely in his late thirties by now. He probably didn't even remember her. Isla flipped over onto her back, staring at the ceiling. 

She was so angry. Angry at her mom for taking it all away, angry at Kai's dad for bringing her back, and angry at herself for thinking she could be happy for even a moment. She felt all this anger boiling up inside her and she went to cover her eyes with her hands. As she yelled out in frustration, all of the glasses in the compound burst. Isla heard the clash and took her hands away from her face. 

Opening the door, Isla saw pieces of broken glass all over the floor on both levels of the compound. Down the hall, Davina and Josh were both looking at her with confused expressions. Isla huffed and went back into her room. 

The next morning, Isla woke up to a knock on her door. Sighing, she got up and walked over to open it. On the other side of the door was Elijah. 

"Elijah, what are you doing here?" She asked. Elijah chuckled. 

"Well I couldn't miss my youngest sister's twentieth birthday, now could I?" A smile crept onto Isla's face. Someone had remembered her birthday. Her happiness was quickly replaced by worry. 

"But are you sure it's a good idea to be here? What about Klaus?" Elijah shrugged.

"We worked out our differences last night, and he invited me and Rebekah to return here. Which is exactly what I'm doing." He enveloped Isla in a hug. "Happy birthday." Isla wrapped her arms around Elijah's midsection, smiling. 

"Thanks. And I'm glad to see you living under the same roof." Elijah chuckled, breaking off the hug. 

"I should probably go check on Hayley." He turned to walk down the hall. "I'll make sure to remind Niklaus and Rebekah that it's your birthday." Isla laughed, closing the door again. She decided she would look up where the Parker family was these days later, but for now, she wanted to focus on herself. 

This proved easy to do. The compound was empty when she went downstairs. No vampires in sight. Isla smiled. 

She spent the entire day walking around the Quarter. She shopped, she ate at fancy restaurants, and the best part, she used Klaus's credit card. 

When she got back to the compound, she found Rebekah, Elijah, and Klaus all standing in the middle. Marcel was carrying Davina up the stairs. Elijah's shirt was covered in blood and Klaus looked a mess. Isla crossed her arms. 

"What happened?" Three pairs of eyes landed on her. 

"We dealt with a problem." Klaus answered. Isla rolled her eyes and headed for the stairs. She heard Elijah clear his throat, and then she heard Rebekah's voice. 

"I'm sorry we weren't around for your birthday." Isla turned around. 

"You know what? It was actually okay. I was able to really focus on me, instead of being sucked into your problems." She addressed that last sentence to all of her siblings. With that, Isla chose to ignore whatever problem the Mikaelsons had that night and just decided to go to bed.