Chapter 6

(curse warning, blood warning)

Sanemi’s POV
I was hanging out with my family in the forest. We are hunting for deer to eat. Genya loves the gun so he does most of the shooting. He is pretty fucking good at it too and this saves us money. I had a gun in my hand and was in the shooting position to kill a deer too. (I haven't ever been hunting so take this with a grain of salt). Mom and the rest were a bit farther away. They don’t hunt and it’d be best, so the youngsters don't get scared or get in the way.
We saw a few deers and got ready to shoot, then I made my shot. Then we heard some blood curdling screams. Fuck. Genya dropped his gun and ran after the screaming. I still had my gun on and followed him. Up ahead we saw people surrounding our family- no they weren’t humans. They were fucking zombies! The shit you’d see and hear about in movies, books and comics. I didn’t have time to think about how this was impossible.
I could smell the rotten skin and blood clashing, I could see my mom's flesh being devoured by the rotten teeth. Their crusty, bloody cracked nails digging into her arms and sides. More and more grabbing onto them, their legs, hips and arms. Eating at anything they can get their mouths on. My family's cries echo out and make my ears ache. Then I see Genya run into the mess to pull the zombies dead grasp off of our family.
Then he gets taken and the zombie grabs him and smashes the right side of his head into the tree. Smashing it over and over until I hear the crunch of the bones. My body won’t move… Why can’t I fucking move!? I shakily grab my gun and aim it at the one feeding off of my mom.
Bam! I fired it and hit it straight in the head, it stumbled back and trips. The rest of the zombies turn to me and I run and run as fast as I can. Why can I move now but not when my family needed me the most!? I can’t believe I'm such a fucking failure.
During all of this I trip and land on my face, I quickly get up, easily noticing that I have a bloody nose. A zombie grabs onto my ankles and bites down on it. I grunt in pain and jab at it with all my strength with my gun. It lets go and I stand back up, I slightly wince at the pain but I must continue running.
Or these damn things will try to eat me. I finally lose the zombies and make it into town. The two closest places I see are a grocery store and a bar. Well I am not an idiot so I chose the best option.