15- Nathalie's Epiphany

"Catastrophe, look out!" Ladybug shouts to her new partner as Court Jester, Shadowmoth's newest akuma villain, flings his weapon. Without a moment to second guess herself, Ladybug dives forward and tackles Catastrophe out of danger. They roll until they're laying on each other and both jump with a blush. "S-Sorry."

"All cool, Beetle Bug," The cat answers back, brushing dirt off his suit. "I'm used to it."

Ladybug rolls her eyes. "Please don't call me that."

"Oh, come on. I have to give you a new nickname."

"Hey, dumb and dumber!" Court Jester shouts, gaining their attention as they turn to look.

Catastrophe gestures a claw between them. "Is that clown talking to us?"

"Hard to tell," Ladybug answers, fighting back a grin. She missed this; she missed him. "Only clowns can hear another clowns, but I guess I'm hard of hearing today."

"I am not a clown!" Court Jester yells, angry, and swings his baton as he aims it at them. "Now hand over your miraculous!"

Ladybug and Catastrophe whistle to themselves, looking around, and ignore the villain, which only makes him angrier. "Did you hear something?"

"Oh, that's it!"

Shadowmoth watches through the villain's eyes as the fight continues. "Yes, yes. Make them come to you. Tire them out until they can't fight anymore."

"I think that clown's trying to talk to us, Ladybug," Catastrophe shouts to his partner as they dodge attacks. "His mouth keeps opening, but I don't hear anything!"

Shadowmoth keeps a close eye on the black cat, studying his fighting techniques, worst case scenario being he had to fight Catastrophe himself. "I need a slip up, a clue, anything to tell me who you are! Who are you, black cat? Why did Ladybug trust someone new so quickly? Was... my son not good enough for her?"

Soon enough, Court Jester is defeated and Ladybug breaks the object holding the akuma- his cane. His vision fades as the akumatization is broken. Angry, he digs the bottom of his cane into the ground. "No! Not again. How many people do I have to akumatize before I get your miraculous, you stupid bug and cat?" He de-transforms and rides the elevator up to his office.

Nathalie is waiting for him. "Aren't you going to try and follow them, sir?" She asks, peeking out the window as the two heroes race across the rooftop across the street.

"Why does it matter? Every time I try, I lose him, like he knows he's being followed. Heh, Ladybug trained him well." Gabriel grabs a book off the table and throws it at the wall. "I'm losing my edge, Nathalie! When I found out Cat Not was my son, I thought I'd won. It was perfect! Now my son has gone and had his miraculous taken for him." He could never do anything right.

"Sir, you do remember Adrien was kidnapped, right?" Nathalie reminds him.

Gabriel turns with a cold stare. "Yes. A perfect coincidence."

Anger begins to boil through his assistant, fists balling up, and she shouts, "Do you even care that your son is missing?!"

"Excuse me?" Gabriel counters, standing tall as he towers over her. What has gotten into her? She's never like this. "Who do you think you are to talk to me like that?"

"I..." Embarrassed, Nathalie starts to apologize. "I-I'm sorry, sir. It won't happen again."

"No, it better not." He steps closer and whispers, "If you ever raise your voice at me again, I won't hesitate to fire you."

"Yes, sir," She whispers with a sad sigh. "I just miss Adrien so much."

Gabriel rubs his temple, feeling guilty, and takes in a deep breath. He's never spoken to her like this before, and he didn't want to start. "I'm sorry, Nathalie. I shouldn't have said that to you. This situation is just..."

"I understand, sir." Nathalie grabs his hand. "You don't have to explain yourself to me."

Changing the subject, he asks, "Any news of my son?"

She shakes her head. "No, unfortunately. We can't find any trace of him anywhere, in this city or another. It's as if Adrien disappeared in thin air."

Gabriel's eyes widen. Disappeared in thin air, as if he were never there. "Yes, you're right. It's strange Adrien goes missing after his superhero identity was exposed. Though, it could be crazy thugs after his miraculous or trying to use my son as hostage for money."

"Then why haven't we heard any ransom demands?"

"That's a great question, Nathalie," Gabriel wonders as he turns away from his assistant, hand on chin. "Why go through all the trouble of kidnaping my son if they want nothing in return? It makes no sense."

Nathalie steps forward. "I promise, sir. None of the officers will rest until Adrien is found again."

"Put that priority on the back burner, Nathalie," He tells her, waving off her concern as he walks across the room. "We don't even know if Adrien is alive or not. I need to find out who Catastrophe is, and once I have his and Ladybug's miraculous, I'll wish for Emelie and Adrien back. Two birds with one stone."

With wide eyes she asks, "Sir, are you saying you don't want Officer Roger looking for your son?"

"If it'll put your mind at ease, go ahead, Nathalie. I have more important things to worry about now." By his wife's painting, Gabriel enters the secret code and the floor opens up. He disappears down below.

Nathalie stands still, shocked, and shakes her head. "How could a man hate his own son so much?" She sees the way her boss treats his son. Distancing himself, making promises he never intends to keep, giving false hope, never making any time for the last of his family. Gabriel only used Adrien when he needed him and nothing more. Adrien is his father's perfect trophy and only sees him as such, not even a son. An image of perfection.

Pulling out her phone, she calls Officer Roger. "The search for Adrien is still on. Keep me posted."

"Will do, Nathalie," Officer Roger answers. "Don't worry. We'll find Adrien. I know it."

"I hope so," Nathalie whispers as she hangs up. She looks up at the portrait of Gabriel's—unfortunate—wife. The life she's living, the man she's working for, it's all for nothing. No matter how hard she worked or tried, Gabriel would never feel the same way for her. He only cared for his late wife. Things are going to change around here and Gabriel be damned if Nathalie weren't going to do something about it. "I'm sorry, Emelie," She whispers to the painting. "But I promise Adrien will be safe again."