- 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗺 was cold. Too cold. She couldn't feel her arms. She couldn't feel anything other than the shivers than ran through her body. It tingled, it clawed at her from the insides, it filled her with a freezing cold shooting pain, until, eventually, it went numb. The pain turned into nothing. The cold felt like nothing.

Kaci Flores tried to move her body, tried to drag herself forward, but not a single part of her would move. She wasn't sure if she was breathing anymore. Her mind was dead, and all her worries were on vacation. She couldn't think about a single thing.

Chains rattled opposite her, and Kaci tried to squint her eyes through the darkness, but she could make out nothing but a faint figure ahead of her. The person didn't say anything, however the deep, pained moans that occasionally left their throat told the girl that it was a male. She wasn't alone.

Kaci tried to breathe through the coldness. She tried to do anything through it. She thought and battled against everything stopping her, but she still could not move her lips. Tortured, she stopped her mind from pushing her. She laid still in the darkness, shut her eyes and drowned herself in it.

𖧷

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝘅𝘁 time she opened her eyes, it was the exact same. Kaci couldn't move, nor could she speak or think properly.

She dreamed, though. She dreamed a lot. Every one of them was the same. She, JJ, Jordan and Kaz were on a beach somewhere. The three boys were all grown and still partying on the surf boards, while she watched over them with a smile, sipping at a martini. The boys were her life, the only things she ever loved, and they all cared about her more than anybody ever had before.

Then, it would go cold.

They'd be torn away from Kaci, one by one. Jordan would go first, twisting away with the hurricane and never to be seen again. Then JJ, who would get dragged away by the ocean. Finally, Kaz, her baby, her angel — he'd be stabbed in the heart repeatedly, the only sound remaining being the giggle of confusion that left his lips. And Kaci would be left alone, screaming and crying for their safety. But they were never safe. None of them ever were.

The figure in front of her knew she'd been having nightmares. Kaci knew that he knew. She wanted to speak to him, to ask him questions, but her throat wasn't working anymore. Nothing was.

𖧷

𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗮𝗺𝗲 cycle repeated again and again, until Kaci wasn't sure if she'd been there for weeks or for hours. Until she gave up even trying to open her eyes. She wanted to stay in her dreams, to freeze herself into the good moments before the nightmare took over. She wanted to be there, on that beach with Jordan, JJ and Kaz. Her boys. Her brother, her boyfriend and her baby. She wanted to stay with them forever. They were her safe place. The only warmth in her cold heart.

But it was so, so cold. Too cold for her to bare anymore.

Kaci was sure that Death would come soon; Kaci was hoping that Death would come soon. That he would grab her by the neck and end her suffering. She couldn't take it anymore. The pain, the torture, the mess of her mind — Kaci wasn't strong enough for this. She wasn't built for the destruction.

There were two noises now. Two people. One came from the front, the other came from the left. Kaci wasn't sure if the one on the left had only just gotten here, or maybe they were just quiet. Maybe they weren't in as much pain as the boy opposite. Maybe their pain was finally ending.

Kaci wanted to talk to them both. She knew they wanted to talk to her, too.

But the room was too cold.

And Kaci Flores shut her eyes once again.

𖧷

𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲, when Kaci Flores opened her eyes, she expected it to be the same. To fight for her life for a few minutes before dropping back to the ground she was already on. To question everything and wait to die, before falling back into a slumber — a slumber she secretly wished would never end.

However, when Kaci woke up this time, it was different. There was light in the small room. It was white. Only white. White enough to see the thick stains of blood that was splattered and dragged around the walls and ground. White enough to see the ghostly, unrecognisable reflection of herself. White enough to see the figures around her.

"Kaci?" one of the boys gasped, holding his hand over his wounded stomach. This was the boy who was in pain, the one who was always moaning. "Kaci, you're here."

Kaci tried to nod, but nothing would happen. She wanted to say something again, she wanted to greet him with a warm hug. But nothing would happen.

The other boy raised his head slowly. He wasn't in pain at all; he was simply staying quiet. There was something in his arms. A baby. He was rocking it with comfort and kindness.

"This yours?" he asked calmly, sounding way too chill to be in the situation they were all in. He nodded to Kaci, who was seemingly dead on the floor. "He's cute. What's the name?"

"Kaz," the first boy answered slowly, eyes wide at the boy sitting against the wall beside him. He turned back to Kaci. She wanted to make the same expression at him, she wanted to let the shock take her away, but nothing was happening on her face.

The other smiled warmly at Kaci. "You did good, sis. I'm proud of you."

A small, single tear fell out of the corner of Kaciʼs eye, but still, not a muscle in her body moved. She wanted to take her baby, to wrap him in her arms and promise to protect him forever. But she couldn't. It was too cold.

"You're alive?" the first boy breathed.

Luis Flores nodded. "And so are you, Jordan."

Authorʼs Note
soooo luis and jordan are both alive, and the flores siblings are all back together ig. this season should be pretty interesting, but since we're coming to the slow end of this fic, please reply to my last announcement about my next obx fic — it'll either be a sarah cameron or another kiara carrera one (i've worked really hard on the plots, so please help me decide which one i should write). thank you to everyone who has been here from the start, i love that you're still here and reading. lmk what you think about this chapter.
love, tay </3