Chapter 16

"Now, let's work on duets for rap songs," Mr. Schu said. "Any takers?"

"I have the perfect song, I just need someone to sing the rap parts with me," I said.

"I'll sing with you," Puck offered.

"Okay." We stood up. "The song I picked is Just Can't Get Enough."

"Alright." We started singing the song.

"Oh baby I can't come down so please come help me out. You got me feeling high and I can't step off the cloud. And I just can't get enough," Puck sang.

"Boy I think about it every night and day. I'm addicted wanna jump inside your love. I wouldn't wanna have it any other way. I'm addicted and I just can't get enough," I sang.

We sang the rest of the song and everyone clapped.

"Can I sing a song now? It's not a rap song but it's still a song I've wanted to sing for awhile," Sam asked.

"Sure. What song?"

"I Just Wanna Run."

"Go ahead." He stood up and started singing.

"I just wanna run, hide it away. Run because they're chasing me down. I just wanna run, throw it away. Run before they're finding me out. I just wanna run," he sang.

He finished the song and then sat down.

-Next day-

The next day I was really excited. I have the best announcement to make. "Mr. Schu if I may, I would like to say something," I said.

"No problem."

"I'm not going to be here tomorrow."

"Ooh that's soo important," Rachel said sarcastically.

"You didn't let me finish. I have an audition tomorrow to see if I'm chosen to be a famous singer!"

"Really? That's great!" Mr. Schu said. Everyone had their mouths open.

"Yeah. I'm so excited but I'm also nervous." Puck came over to me and sat down. "Get lost Puckerman."

"No. Why don't me and you get together sometime?" he asked.

"How about not?"

"Oh come on! Give me a chance. I'm totally into you!"

"Well I have feelings for someone else."

"Let me guess, you aren't over Sam? You broke up about a week ago! It's time to move on!"

"Maybe I'm not ready. Now get lost." He walked away.

"Hey Marissa?" It was Sam.

"Yeah?"

"Even though you cheated on me, I can't move on. I can't sleep at night. Please say you haven't moved on either."

"I haven't. Wait, does that mean you want to go out with me again?"

"Yes. I do."

I smiled widely. "Okay." He started to lean in and I leaned in too when our lips met.

I'm freaking out. I'm at the auditions and I'm waiting anxiously. Or, I was until I got called in. I walked through the door to the audition room.

"I'm Marissa Garcia and I'll be singing Because of You."

"Alright. You may sing."

"Because of you I never stray too far from the sidewalk. Because of you I learn to play on the safe side so I don't get hurt. Because of you I find it hard to trust not only me but everyone around me. Because of you I am afraid," I sang.

"Thank you, you did great. We'll let you know our decision tomorrow."

"Okay, thank you." I walked out of the room and took a deep breath.