5 : Targets

"A-ahh!!"

Everyone rushed towards the courtyard from where the scream was heard.

Through the crowd, Wei wuxian observed a maid and a servant laying on the ground. The woman was the one who screamed.

The servant was dead with his left arm gone with no blood coming out of the wound.

Similar to that of Mo Ziyuan.

Madam Mo collapsed. She was Heald by her maid in waiting. Her husband was stuck in his own thoughts.

Whether that was his way of grieving for his son or not, no one knows.

Lan sizhui moved towards the the maid and spoke as gently as he could.

"Did you see what it was?"

The maid was unable to respond. Sacred world death, she could only shake her head.

She was a civilian, just like a majority of those in the compound. It was natural for those who were not used to seeing things like this to get scared.

Seeing how they did not know what to do with this resentful creature, lan jingyi sent out a flare signal.

He was frowning.

"Did you send the signal?"

"I did, but i suppose there arnt any seniors in this area. It's usually a peaceful place so cultivators don't really pass by here"

Lan jingyi looked pale.

"What do we do? We don't even know what it is."

Sigh. They could not leave and risk disgracing their clan. It was their duty as cultivators to help protect civilians.

"Let's wait for reinforcements."

All while this was happening, Wei wuxian silently observed the situation. There were three people dead right now.

The servant, the son and his father.

Although he looks to be in a dream like state, he was dead.

Wei wuxian was sure of it. This was because he had felt a slight stinging sensation in his arm.

He had also sent a thread of resentful energy to guide it towards other beings with resentful energy in them.

Excluding himself, there were four people with resentful energy within them.

The Mo family and the servant.

This was because they had tried practicing demonic cultivation from the stolen scrolls Mo Xuanyu had. It was a miracle they hadn't succumbed into the resentment and become evil being themselves.

But it makes sense. All of this was timed very well. The Mo family and the servant had just enough resentful energy within them.

They were also the targets.

Three cuts had healed. Three people had died.

Wei wuxian wanted to step in already. He wanted to subdue the resentful creature. But he did not. Because the creature had yet to kill one of the targets.

He could sense it. This creature was not a medium level being.

It was too strong for that.

Wei wuxian felt anger. He knows that this being was released by the third party. To set some kind of trap.

Wei wuxian was angry that this person endangered all these civilians for their own purpose. That they were okay sacrificing innocents.

That is why he decided he would step in once the targets were dead. He watched the movements of the being carefully. Tracing it with his senses and a mix of resentful energy and spritual energy.

There was only one person left. Madam Mo. She was still unconscious as she layed on the rocks in the courtyard.

Wei wuxian could see her left arm twitching.

'its done'

The arm was now possesing Madam Mo. The target with her deepest cut on his arm.

Mo Xuanyu did not mention much about the abuse he faced but Wei wuxian could understand seeing the expression on his face.

The tremors of his body everytime Wei wuxian asked him to repeat something, or when he had a stoic face on, probably thinking he did something wrong, the constant asking for forgiveness......

It angered Wei wuxian. That was why he did not feel any remorse for these people's deaths.

The deserved it.

But that didn't mean he wanted innocents to be collateral damage. He would stand by his way of making sure the innocent are not involved.

Wei wuxian watched as the juniors noticing Madam Mo's unusual behaviour. Seeing her loose control and attacking them.

Wei wuxian watched to see whether the juniors could handle it. He remembered that when he was their age, he could have handled it.

But then again, thier standards must be very different compared to the current standards.

Wei wuxian thought it would be better to involve himself in this only if it seemed as though they would be in danger.

That is why, he first did some damage control. He first made sure all the servants and maids left the courtyard.

They were all panicking. Fearing they would be the next targets. Wei wuxian would not allow that.

He looked towards the servants as the juniors started setting up a formation to suppress rhe resentful arm.

"Listen up all of you! The being will not harm you. So make your way out of the courtyard. Quickly!"

His voice was stern. Nothing like the cowardly young master mo they remembered.

They found themselves subconsciously nodding and doing as instructed. Wei wuxian huffed as he was relieved no one else will be in harms way.

He turned to see the juniors, lan sizhui and lan jingyi, struggling to suppress the arm. Slowly paling as the felt a sence of helplessness.

Wei wuxian held out his arm and resentful energy pooled around. Darting towards the arm and slamming in on the ground.

The juniors, shocked looked towards Wei Wuxian. A small flicked of hope in their eyes.

Wei wuxian saw that the arm was refusing to corporate as with irritation, sent more resentful energy.

He was also very careful as he tried to make sure he doesn't accidentally destroy the arm.

Slowly, the specks of black smoke came to a calm and started to settle. The arm was still struggling but couldn't move.

Wei wuxian looked towards the juniors and began to speak.

"Lend me some talisman paper. Quickly."

"Ye-yes! Here!"

Lan jingyi fumbled as he gave some talisman paper to him. Still in his shocked state.

Seeing this wei wuxian clicked his tongue.

'why is their reaction so slow. Being cultivators, they should learn to adapt to situations faster.'

Wei wuxian took the talisman paper and quickly made a seal. It was suppression seal. And quick a strong one.

He walked towards the still twitching arm and slammed the talisman on to it. The arm stopped moving and was docile.

Wei wuxian signed. He turned around to make sure the juniors were alright when his eyes caught the figure of someone.

He recognised him. The cultivator standing on top of the room with his guqin out, ready to help.

It was lan zhan, lan wangji.