6 : Lan Wangji

Lan wangji. Also called by his title hanguang-jun.

Wei wuxian had mixed feelings towards such a man.

He watched him jump down the roof and immediately go towards the juniors while keeping his guqin at ready.

Wei wuxian knew lan wangji was good and righteous. A stoic man of few words but a man with a good heart.

Wei wuxian was sure that lan wangji was the reason for A-yuan's survival.

Lan wangji was currently listening to the situation being explained by both the juniors.

Wei wuxian watched as they occasionally glanced in his direction.

A-yuan, now lan had the forehead ribbon. Something given only to those with the lan surname. The inner main clan.

Wen yuan was an outsider. And there are only three people who can let an outsider into the clan.

They were the twin jades, lan wangji and lan xichen. And their uncle lan qiren.

The grandmaster lan qiren was someone he faced during the seige. Wei wuxian witnessed him killing the wen remanents with no remorse dispite seeing that they were civilians.

So it was not him.

Lan xichen did not kill anyone during the seige. He was present but did nothing to stand in their way. Wei wuxian didn't know why.

But he was the type to think the best in people. Surely he would rather accept A-yuan as a bastard child rather that accept him as a prisoner from the jin camps. He trusted jin guangyao too much for that.

And that left lan wangji.

He was someone who met A-yuan. They had a good impression of eachother at yiling.

But he was also very filial. To his family and his clan. Seeing how he was still with them dispite knowing and seeing them kill and condemn innocents.

Lan wangji saw the remnents. He saw their horrible condition at the burial mounds.

Wei wuxian knew it would have been difficult for him to help provide for them as gusu lan was still in the process of rebuilding using the money jin guangyao had given lan xichen.

No matter how much the sects had been depending on the jin funds, they always claimed to stand by righteousness. Surely no one would doubt the ever righteous and truthful hanguang-jun, would they?

Just one word about how the remnants were civilians, there would have been an investigation team set up. If lan wangji had spoken up, things would have been different.

But he did not. Instead, lan wangji did the thing he knew best. He stayed silent.

All throughout the preparation of the sects betraying their deal to let them go after surendering the wen siblings, lan wangji still stayed silent.

During the battle at nightless city, all he did was constantly tell him he was out of control.

And then he disappeared. Wei wuxian did not know what happened after he lost control by witnessing his shijie's death. He has no memory of it.

His final memory of the person he once considered a friend was not good.

That was why Wei wuxian no longer trusted him.

Wei wuxian wanted to hate him. Hate him for not doing what was right. For not staying true to the promise they made. But he did not.

Because Wei wuxian had also broken a promise he made. To lan wangji, one of many.

To Wei wuxian, lan wangji's only saving grace was him protecting A-yuan.

Wei wuxian could not help but think this way. Even since he met lan wangji, in all their conversation, he had only gotten negative responses.

Lan wangji even told him he hated him.

Maybe Wei wuxian pushed too much. Wanting to be a friend to the cold and stoic second young master. The person he was so enamored with.

It was a mistake. Wei wuxian should have stayed away.

Instead, he persisted. He always spoke to him thinking he might have just been lonely.

Wei wuxian had a bitter smile on his face as he was approached by some servants.

"M-Master Mo, what do we do now?"

Wei wuxian looked at the servants who still had a tremor to their bodies.

He pointed at himself and he began to speak.

"Me? Why are you calling me master mo?"

"Because you are the only living mo of the main clan, master mo. You are our new village chief."

Wei wuxian put a hand to his chin as he hummed in thought

'i completely forgot about this'

"Wait here untill I'm done taking to the cultivators"

Just as Wei wuxian finished speaking, he saw the three lan's coming towards him.

Lan sizhui spoke as he bowed.

"Young master mo, this one is called lan sizhui. My companion is lan jingyi and this senior is hanguang-jun, lan wangji.

We would like to thank you for your help-"

Some servants made some offended noises. Mostly because the lan had called him young master when he was now the master of the Mo family.

It was not wrong to interpret this as then looking down on him.

Before they could speak up, Wei wuxian spoke calmly

"It seems as though we did not need your services seeing as how i was able to handle it myself where as you cost us four dead members of this household."

They grimaced. Bowing, they apologized.

"We apologise young master Mo. We did not expect a high ranking resentful being to appear in such a small village. Usually only juniors are sent to places like this for our beginning night hunts."

Haa....

Wei wuxian signed. The lan's flinched at this thinking he was angry.

Lan jingyi hastely spoke.

"U-um, human lives are precious. My appologise for out incompetentness. If there is anything you desire, gusu lan is willing to compensate."

He spoke in a very respectful way compared to how he spoke to Wei wuxian at first.

"I do not blame you. A powerful resentful being such as this is not something that appears in small villages like the Mo village. You couldn't have known. But, it doesn't change that we still lost lives trusting you cultivators."

Flinch

"That is why, i will not pay you for your services. Seeing as how i was the one to capture the being. Please tidy up the place and be on your way back. You must understand why I am angry."

Lan sizhui let out a small relived smile. He was thankful for this matter ending peacefully.

The servants were awed by their kind and forgiving master. Some were even angry he did not demand more from the cultivators but kept their mouth shut.

It was then, lan wangji spoke.

"You use demonic cultivation."