21: Ungratefulness

A bark rung through the air and fairy, jin rulan's spritual dog bound onto the empty street racing straight towards him, Wei wuxian paled like a ghost and sheer fright overtook his features. He couldn't breathe.

It was a dog. A fucking dog. Of all spritual animals, it just had to be a dog.

His body moved on reflex, running away from it. Because what if it catched him? What it it gnawed at him and bit his flesh off? He didn't even have any food on him right now. There was no reason for the dogs to come at him. It would probably scratch and bite him for taking its food, after all that's what the dogs always did. Wei wuxian was afraid that it'd pounce on him.

I suppose you should have seen that Wei wuxian had terrible luck. Because of course it did exactly what he feared.

It pounced.

A sharp squeal came from the 'tough' Yiling patriarch who fell backwards onto the ground. His fear was finally becoming a reality and he couldn't take it.

"G-Get off!" He tried to nudge it off lightly in an attempt to shove it off but merely found it fruitless, the dog was too strong and too excited.

Actually, the dog wasn't all that strong. It was just that Wei wuxian could not bring in any strength. He so vividly remembered how the dogs would chase him and become the cause of his cynophobia.

Lan wangji had been returning towards Wei wuxian when he'd noticed the latter's distress and began to approach the scared man. But not in time for the sticky dog to playfully nip his hand causing Wei wuxian to scrunch his eyes shut with a yelp, his body jolting in shock.

Lan wangji hurried towards him, kneeling and reaching out his hands to steady him. He glared at both the dog and jin rulan.

Wei wuxian opened his teary eyes just a bit and looked towards him.

"L-lan zhan help me-" he whimpered, eyes still tightly shut and hands shielding his face dispite the dog already gone away from him.

Wei wuxian was too stuck in his memories to realise.

Lan wangji held him protectively as he knelt on the ground next to him.

Jiang wanyin dashed forward noticing the commotion causing jin rulan to flinch in fear as he stared at his uncle's terrifying expression.

He saw Wei wuxian being comforted by lan wangji and turned towards his nephew with a snarl on his face.

"What were you thinking A-ling!? Are you out of your mind?!"

Jin ling backed away from his fuming uncle and spoke nervously. His dog wimpering behind him.

"A-ah jiujiu.... It's just-"

Jiang wanyin stalked forward and grabbed his arm tightly in anger.

"I don't want to hear your excuses. Why did you summon your dog here!? And to command it to attack your saviour!? What were you thinking?"

This shocked jin rulan. Dispite his uncle constantly fussing and getting angry at him, he knew it was mostly out if consern for him. Always backing his shouting was a 'I'll break your legs!'.

But that didn't come this time. His uncle was truly angry, and jin ling was terrified. He recalled the only time in the past where he'd seen his uncle get truly angry.
_