11: Argument

'... what?'

Jiang wangyin and Lan wangji reached towards Wei wuxian as he fell. 

Despite Lan Wangji's physical superiority, the Jiangs were known for their speed and agility.

And Jiang Wangyin was the fastest Jiang alive. Obviously, he was the one who caught him.

Lan Wangji jerked awake and immediately checked on Wei Wuxian's condition.

Sending in a small flow of spiritual energy through him, spreading it around his body, making sure his physical condition is alright. 

After deeming it mildly stable, Lan Wangji looked towards Jiang Wangyin, who was still holding on to Wei Wuxian-in mo Xuanyu's body, in shock.

'How did he know?'

That was the only question on both of their minds.

"Sect leader Jiang."

"..... Hanguang-jun."

The tension was thick. The two high-level cultivators were so focused on glaring at each other that they failed to realise they were being heard by three others.

Specifically, the two Lan juniors who had approached their senior after awakening. And the Jiang head deciple, who was coming to make a report to his leader.

The three of them clearly heard them call out the name of the yilling patriarch.

Among the three of them, Lan Jingyi was the only one terrified. This was because, all throughout his life, he had heard multiple stories about the yiling patriarch.

Grandmaster Lan Qiren certainly spent a lot of time talking shit about him.

It also didn't help that Lan Jingyi was a curious child by nature. He'd heard a lot of terrifying tales about the demonic cultivator.

On the other hand, Lan Sizhui was conflicted. 

He had learned both negative things about the patriarch from everyone around him, as well as positive words from Hanguang-jun, his father figure. 

Although he didn't know much, Hanguang-jun would always tell him that, although he was on the wrong path, Wei Wuxian was good. He was righteous. He always protected innocents.

Lan Wangji did not explain much, or even share what truly happened. But Lan Sizhui was someone who spent years with him. enough to recognise some of his expressions.

This was why Lan Sizhui knew that his father figure had always considered Wei Wuxian a worthy man. That he'd thought of him with tender affection and frustration.

The third person, the Jiang head disciple, Jiang Ren, was shocked but schooled his expression.

(It's a random name I came up with. I do not speak Chinese, so i do not know whether there is any actual meaning to this name.)

Jiang Ren was a survivor of the fall of Lotus pier and one of the few who still remembered Wei Wuxian from his younger years. 

He was only a junior on a mission during the time of the Wen invasion. Although young, he was old enough to remember Wei Wuxian with fondness.

He was also the person who had been with this sect leader, Jiang Wangyin, for all these years.

It was safe to say he knew him best. This is why he knew Jiang Wangyin would not mistake anyone else for Wei Wuxian. 

This person, in some odd way, was Wei Wuxian. He was back.

But these thoughts and realisations weren't important right now.

Lan wangji and Jiang wangyin were glaring at each other.

It was very tense. Jiang wangyin had not let go of his tight and secure grip on Wei wuxian, whereas Lan wangji held onto Wei wuxian's hand.

Neither of them let go and continued glaring at each other. Their eyes appeared to be telling the other to leave.

The surroundings were quite busy. The disciples were working on clearing out the area and accommodating the formerly soul-snatched cultivators.

This was why, excluding the two juniors and one head disciple, no one noticed the two high-ranking cultivators in a silent argument.

Finally, getting irritated enough, Jiang Wangyin began to speak.

"Lan wangji, don't you think you've done enough?"

Jiang Wangyin had questioned Lan Wangji. He needed the other to leave so he could take Wei Wuxian to Yunmeng Jiang.

Lan Wangji spoke with a firm voice.

"I will take him to Gusu."

Scoff.

"For what? To imprison him! Just like you tried to all those years back? "

Was Lan Wangji trying to cage him there? 

"Not impressionment. Healing"

Lan wangji was starting to get annoyed with Jiang wangyin. The sect leader was the one to abandon Wei Ying first. He had hated Wei Ying for years.

Lan Wangji did not understand his motives.

"Healing? And are you saying that the Jiang's cannot heal him sufficiently?"

".... Wei Ying was originally going to come with us."

'only until we find the arm, at least. I have not lied.'

Lan Wangji did not say the rest out loud. Technically, he wasn't lying. But it was a lie by ommision. He would still go back to Gusu and write down the rules.

Both of them were angry and frustrated with this situation. They knew they could not afford to fight since they had used up quite a lot of spiritual energy in the array. Their meridians were in use while being exposed to resentful energy. Fighting would get them into a critical condition.

But Jiang Wangyin was getting desperate. He wanted to just fight Lan Wangji and take his brother back to their home. He burst out, saying

"Yunmeng Jiang is his home! He will come there!"

Snap

"It isn't! Wasn't sect leader Jiang the one who named him the enemy of the cultivation world?"

"That-!...."

Lan Wangji wasn't wrong. Jiang wangyin had undoubtedly done so. Jiang wangyin could not refute this statement. This was how he came to a conclusion.

Sigh.

"... Fine. You can take him to Gusu, but I will soon come to him after I'm done settling things at Yunmeng. "

Lan Wangji was surprised but content with being able to take Wei Wuxian to Gusu. just like he wanted to all those years ago.

The Jiang captured the demonic arm they had been chasing. The Lan owed the Jiang a debt.

This was why, although he didn't want Jiang Wangyin to come, he did not have a choice but to accept.

The observers were just glad they didn't fight.

Lan jingyi was a bit disappointed though.

Soon, Jiang Wangyin took his nephew and some disciples with him back to Lotus pier. 

He ordered some disciples to stay at inns with the still unconscious cultivators until they woke up and got better.

The lan's made their way back to Gusu, and this time they had a secure grip on the demonic arm.

All this while, Wei wuxian remained unconscious.