16 : Joint mission

The opening of the door shook Wei wuxian out of his daze.

Turning his head, he looked toward the door to see the man he had been waiting for.

Lan wangji was standing there with a tray of food. Balancing the tray with one hand, he shut the door and walked inside.

Lan wangji had the same look on his face. Wei wuxian just looked at him.

He noticed the food on the tray.

It was filled with greens and vegetables. Wei wuxian subconsciously grimaced but did not complain.

But, Wei wuxian also did not eat. Because what if they drugged his food? Although he doubted a lan- especially someone as rightous as lan wangji, would do such a thing.

But Wei wuxian had learnt not to trust easily the hard way. He's not going the change just because it's lan wangji.

As though sensing his doubt, the lan picked up the chopsticks that had been placed on the table and ate bits of food from every dish.

He then placed the chopsticks back where it was and drank some tea.

He did so in a very elegant and graceful manner too. As though satisfied to prove that he would never try to to any misdeed towards Wei wuxian.

Seeing this, Wei wuxian's doubt had slightly decreased. Though he does wonder how the other man was able to read him so easily.

He picked up the same chopsticks and began to eat.

'oh? This is-'

The food- dispite it being greens and vegetables, surprisingly had a lot of flavours.

Lan wangji's ears turned slightly red. Though it was uncertain whether this was due to the food being much more flavourful and Spicer than his usual meals or due to something else entirely.

"Mh! This tastes good."

Wei wuxian thoroughly enjoyed his food. So much so that he missed lan wangji lifting the corners of his lips.

"good. I practiced."

The sudden input shocked him. Turning his head, he looked towards lan wangji and began to speak in a shocked tone.

"What?.... Hanguang-jun, did you make this yourself?"

"Mn."

Wei wuxian found this to be very strange. Why would lan wangji, the esteemed hanguang-jun and a direct descendant of the lan clan, make food for someone else?

He could have called a servant or cook to prepare a meal for him. But to make it himself?

'.....Did he feel bad to ask someone to prepare a meal at this untimely hour? So he decided to make it himself?'

Wei wuxian decided to not think about it anymore. He just nodded and began to speak in a skeptical tone.

"..... I see. Thank you."

"It's no problem."

It was silent in the room. The only sound was the clinking of cutlery.

Finishing his meal, Wei wuxian cleared his throat, gaining the attention to his companion.

"Ahem. Thank you for preparing this meal for me, hanguang-jun."

"Mn."

Standing up, Wei wuxian dusted off some imaginary dust and began to speak.

"Well. I'll be in my way now."

Turning around, Wei wuxian walked towards the door.

Lan wangji hastily stood up and- in a desperate need to keep him beside himself, he spoke up.

"The arm."

Looking at him strangely, Wei wuxian tilted his head and spoke.

"Hm? The arm? What about it?"

".... Will young master Mo not help find the remaining body parts?"

"Why should I? Surely the Gusu lan clan is capable enough to do this on your own?"

"..... Many disciples were injured. I will pay for services."

'oh. He lied.'

Lan wangji technically did not lie. Quite a number of disciples were injured. And it was true that lan wangji was willing to pay Wei wuxian should he help.

But still, he lied by ommision. There are still many disciples in good condition. They are most likely to be enough to investigate the arm by themselves.

There was absolutely no need for Wei wuxian to be here.

Just as he was about to reject lan wangji's offer, he head a noise.

Thud

It was a soft noise. Probably made by someone bumping into the wall. Normally it wouldn't have been strange.

But, lan wangji and Wei wuxian were the only ones present in the room. The other servants had left previously.

And yet now, there were clear signs that someone was trying to overhear their conversation.

'Is it them again?'

Wei wuxian suspected it to be the spies belonging to the third party. It could possibly be the servants.

'.... They must really want me to investigate the arm.'

Sigh

"Alright. But i have somewhere to be right now. I will join you in your journey a week later."

"Mn. I will leave gusu in 4 days. We will meet North-West. Qinghe."

"Sure."

Wei wuxian stepped out of the room. He briefly glanced towards the crouched form the a servant with cold eyes that made the other shiver and fall in his bottom, before continuing on his was.

The demonic cultivator went back to the jingshi, collected his items, and left the place.

As he walked out of cloud recesses and into caiyl, he purchased a pot of emperors smile and a horse to travel on.

He couldn't exactly travel by sword with Mo Xuanyu's weak cultivation level. And even if he did, he did not have a sword.

Therefore, a horse.

It took a while, almost three days. Wei wuxian reached Yiling.