Chapter 3

Zay had managed to avoid West for at least half an hour now since he'd spotted him out on the back porch. Each time he spotted him in the crowd, he'd run and hide like the coward he was. He even danced with several girls just to keep away from him. Nothing inside him wanted to allow West to corner him, not here and now, not when he'd already had a few too many beers and his resistance wasn't up to par. If West managed to trap him he'd do something idiotic.

He ducked up the stairs and decided he'd hide in one of the bathrooms for a little bit, maybe then West would give up for a while. He locked the door and pulled himself up to sit on the counter.

"Wow, I am such a loser," he muttered. He didn't know how long he stayed in the bathroom, but eventually, he emptied his beer and he grew bored. "Right, time to act like an adult and not a frightened child," he told himself as he unlocked the door and pulled it open.

"I was beginning to believe you were going to hide in there all night," West told him from where he was propped against the wall across from the bathroom.

"Have you been out here the entire time?"

"Yup, you've been avoiding me and I got tired of it so I figured I wait for you to decide to come out." He shoved away from the wall. "So, are you gonna bolt or suck it up and talk to me?"

"I have no reason to talk to you." He turned away and headed for the stairs.

West grabbed his arm and hauled him through an open door into one of the bedrooms and before he realized it, the door was shut and West had him trapped between it and his body. West pressed his hands against the door and leaned a bit closer with a grin. "I'm tired of playing games. Zay, we both know you're denying the fact there could be something here."

"I'm denying nothing, now get away from me." His voice sounded panicked and there was nothing he could do about it.

"Stop lying to yourself! Stop denying who you are!" West snapped.

"Stop trying to get me to admit to something I can't ..." he stopped speaking and shook his head. "Just leave me alone, all right? Trust me, it's better if you drop it." He wanted to shove West away, to push him as far as he could and get the hell out of here, but he avoided touching him. If he put a hand on West he knew it wouldn't be to shove him away.

West leaned closer, their faces now only an inch or two apart. "Tell me there's nothing here, that you don't feel what I feel and I'll walk away. Go ahead, Zay, tell me you feel nothing."

Before Zayden could answer West closed the space between them and kissed him. He had no comparison, he'd never felt like this when he kissed any of the girls he'd dated. Then it had been for show, an act to prove to the world he wasn't gay. This was no act, it was very real and it was exactly what he'd always wanted. One of West's hands dropped from where it had been pressed to the door and slipped into his hair, cupping his head and drawing him closer. Of their own will, he lifted his hands and wrapped them up around West's shoulders, his fingers curled into his hair as he allowed West to deepen the kiss. They remained that way for what Zay decided was too short a time. West pulled back a small smile on his face before he set his forehead against Zay's with a sigh.

"I knew it."

Those words broke whatever spell had been cast over him the moment West kissed him and Zay realized exactly what had happened. He'd taken a step he never should have taken. He shoved West away and yanked the door open. "Stay away from me!" he yelled before he bolted from the room.

"Wait, Zayden!" West called after him. "Zay!"

He ignored West as he continued to call his name, streaked through the kitchen, pausing only to grab a bottle of Jack from the counter before he was out the door. He found a quiet spot in one corner of the yard and hid in the bushes with the hope no one would come around the side of the house.