Chapter 14

Seth gave Zay a thumbs up after he checked the car to be certain it was hooked up correctly. "Ya know, this is becoming a habit."

"What is?" Seth asked.

"Me coming to work with you," he replied.

Seth chuckled. "Want a job? It would be nice to have a partner."

"A partner in more ways than one?" Zay asked with a huge grin.

"Yes. All right, we're set to go." They climbed back into the cab of the truck.

"Where's this one going?" Zay asked.

"Some repair place downtown." The radio crackled and his uncle's voice came through.

"Seth?"

"Yeah, what's up?"

"I got a repo I need you to get right away. This guy has been eluding us for a couple of months and the car was spotted outside his girlfriend's place. You need to pick it before he vanishes again."

"All right, but you'll have to send someone to pick this one up."

"No problem, just get over there, the address is in the computer already."

"Don't worry, we got it."

His uncle's laughter came through the radio. "Zay with you again?"

"Yes, sir."

"Gonna have to put him on the payroll soon," he said with a laugh. "Hurry up boys, we need this one!" The radio went silent.

"All right, let's drop this one and get over there, it's only a couple of blocks away," Seth told him as he checked the computer.

It took them little time to drop the car and head over to the address his uncle had provided.

Zay released a long whistle as Seth backed up to the car. "Nice ride."

"Tricked out Charger, this guy put bucks into his car, no wonder he's been hiding it," Seth replied. "Okay, let's do this. I'll hook up, you keep an eye out for anyone."

"Will do." They got out of the truck and Zay took up a position on the sidewalk, watching to be certain no one slipped up on them while Seth was hooking up the car.

"Okay, half-hook, let's jet before he comes out."

They jumped into the truck and Seth pulled down the street and around the corner. "Give me a minute and we can get out of here for good." Seth got out and went to finish hooking up the car. It was easier to hook a vehicle up partially and beat it than waste time hooking the entire thing up and possibly have the repo's owner appear and try to stop them.

Seth got back into the truck. "And away we go! We make an awesome team."

"We do," Zay told him.

Seth put the truck in drive and headed for the yard where they took the repos. "Do you want to grab something to eat after we drop this car off?"

"Yeah, sounds good."

"Cool." The drive was mostly quiet after that.

Seth got out and presented the paperwork to the guy at the gate. The towing companies were high-tech now, everything was on computer so it could be easily tracked. All the drivers had one of the tablets and all paperwork was sent to them for each pickup they did, the paperwork could be easily forwarded to the appropriate yard or repair shop when a car was dropped off. It was a newer system, one put into place by the city to police the towing industry to make certain they were doing business properly. After a brief conversation with the guard at the gate, Seth climbed back behind the wheel and pulled through the gate when it opened, parked, and dropped the car.