Chapter 19

Zay curled onto the couch, his head in Seth's lap. "I don't understand why they insist on blaming you."

Seth sighed. "I don't know. I'm sorry, Zay, I know how close you and Alyssa were."

"It isn't fair!"

"No, it isn't, but there isn't much you can do about it. If this is their choice then you have to deal with it and move on."

He sighed. "I know, but it makes me so angry. The way West talked about you, I can't drop it."

Seth ran his fingers through Zay's hair. "I don't care what West says, all right? He can make all the accusations he wants, it doesn't mean anything because none of it is true. I'm sorry I got him involved in the gang, it shouldn't have happened, but it didn't make our relationship any less real. If he wants to deny it, try to erase it by any means possible, then that's on him, not me. He's using whatever excuse he can come up with so he's not culpable for his actions. He's placing the blame on someone else, I can't help it and I don't care about it."

Zay sat up. "You're taking this well."

Seth shrugged. "Nothing I can do about it. Look, I didn't do anything to Alyssa's car, I never touched it. I don't know what happened. Maybe this is some stupid stunt of theirs to try and get you to leave me, I can't say."

Zay shook his head. "I can't see Alyssa putting herself in danger like that simply to try and make me believe you're out to get her. She comes at things head-on, she doesn't resort to trickery. It's not her style. If she wanted to say something then she'd march over here and say it to our faces."

"Then it was probably some fluke thing. Whatever it is, it isn't our problem. If she doesn't want you in her life simply because we're dating then you can't let her problems touch you."

"It's hard not to let it touch me, we've been inseparable for almost four years."

"I know and I'm sorry."

"It isn't your fault," Zay replied in a quiet voice.

"Do you want to watch The Proposal?"

Zay laughed. "Trying to make me feel better?"

"Maybe. Go make popcorn and I'll put it on."

Zay leaned in and brushed a kiss over Seth's lips. "Thank you for being the best boyfriend in the history of boyfriends."

Seth laughed. "Yeah, yeah, go make popcorn."

Zay left him to put the movie on and went to the kitchen. He felt a little better, but it still hurt to know Alyssa wanted to blame this entire incident on Seth without any evidence. West's words swam through his brain and he shook his head. He wasn't going to entertain West's accusations. They were nothing more than jealousy, West wanted him and he'd walked away when things became difficult. Now West was regretting it because he and Seth were together. Somewhere in the back of his mind, there was laughter at that thought, but he ignored it and carried the bowl of popcorn out to the living room. He could do nothing about West's jealousy or the fact Alyssa wanted nothing to do with him. He couldn't change anyone's opinion of things, all he could do was move forward and worry about himself.