Chapter 27

Josh shifted in his seat and pulled at the tie around his neck. "I'm not the defendant why do I have to wear a suit?"

Alyssa slapped at his hand. "Stop it! If we're going to be here for Zay then we have to appear like upstanding citizens, especially if you're going to post his bail!"

"If they allow him bail," West muttered from her other side.

"Let's not think like that," she told him.

"Hard not to, we've already established we think Seth has some cops on his side. I'm sure those were the guys he gave the so-called evidence to," West grumbled. "They'll do everything in their power to keep his ass behind bars."

The bailiff called the court to order and they all rose as the judge entered. After a moment the judge gave them leave to sit and began proceedings. Zayden's wasn't the only hearing today and he wasn't first on the docket. They sat through a dozen or so hearings before it was finally Zay's turn.

"Thank you, your honor," Mr. Salazar said as he and Zayden took their places.

"Present your evidence, counselor."

Mr. Salazar nodded. "My client has no priors, your honor. He admits he was there on the nights the vehicles were taken but he had no prior knowledge that the vehicles in question were being taken illegally. He was merely riding along with his boyfriend whose uncle owns the tow company. He assisted in hooking up the cars when asked but that was all. He is more than willing to assist in the investigation by telling the detectives the locations of the yards and repair shops where vehicles were dropped off. He is an upstanding citizen, he holds a part-time job with the department of child service counseling LGBT+ youths, while also attending school full time and maintaining a 3.0 GPA. He isn't a flight risk."

The judge was nodding while he sorted through the evidence in the case. He looked at Zayden. "Mr. Walker, you freely admit you were in attendance when these vehicles were stolen?"

Zayden nodded. "Yes, your honor, though I had no idea we were stealing them. There was paperwork that said they were legitimate tows."

The judge nodded and slapped the folder of evidence shut. "There is a mountain of evidence against you, young man, however, your lawyer has made a good case for your release until the trial. This is a very serious matter, Mr. Walker, I do hope you realize what kind of trouble you're in."

"I do, your honor, and as Mr. Salazar stated I'm more than willing to assist in the investigation. If I had known those cars were being stolen then I never would have assisted in the towing of those vehicles."

The judge sat back slightly. "I've read your file, you ran away from home."

"No, sir, I didn't run away. I told my parents that I'm gay and they threatened to ship me off to a religious correction camp to force me to admit I'm not gay. I moved out to get away from the corrosive situation. I'm eighteen, sir, I had that right."

"Agreed." He looked at the two detectives. "It would appear, gentlemen, that your file is inaccurate. I suggest you look closer at things in the future and not take them at face value."

Ferrel and Blaine both nodded but neither commented on the fact their file seemed to be directed to make Zayden look as guilty as possible.

The judge looked back at Zayden. "All right, bail is set at $150,000. You are to remain in the city, other than work and school you will not travel. Maintain your job and your school attendance. Understood?"

Zayden nodded. "Understood, your honor."

"All right, you're dismissed." The judge banged his gavel.

"Thank you, your honor." Mr. Salazar ushered him back to his seat with the other prisoners. "I wasn't expecting him to grant us bail, not with the evidence against you. This is good."