Chapter 18

Alyssa looked between the officers. "You can't honestly believe I orchestrated this? Why in the hell would I do that? I could have died!"

"Miss. Roman, are you having difficulties at school, home, with friends?" one of the officers asked her.

Her mother scowled. "Who doesn't have difficulties in their life? What is the meaning of this? My daughter was nearly killed today."

"In a car that was given a pass by a repair shop yesterday," the officer answered.

"Yes, which tells me someone fiddled with her car and you should be looking into that not accusing my daughter of wrongdoing!"

"Did you do something to your car?" the other officer snapped at Alyssa.

"I'm not answering any more questions, you've made up your mind and it doesn't matter what I say because you think I'm some angsty teenager looking for attention. I want to call a lawyer," Alyssa snapped back at him.

"Fine." He turned and left the room. The other officer sent her a glare and followed.

Alyssa's hands shook as she dialed her phone.

"Who are you calling, we don't know any lawyers?" her mother asked.

"Josh, his father has one on retainer." The phone rang and Josh answered, tears flooded her eyes and it took everything she had not to burst into tears while she spoke to him in a shaky voice. "Josh, we need a lawyer. They're accusing me of tampering with the brakes."

"What?"

"They think it's some stupid teenage stunt for attention," she told him.

"Okay, don't say a word, I'll make the call right now and get someone over there."

"Thanks."

"No need for thanks. Love you." He hung up and dialed his father's lawyer. "Mr. Salazar, it's Josh Harrison. Can you send someone to the police station on Brush?"

"Are you in some sort of trouble, Josh, do I need to call your father for you?"

"No, sir, it's my girlfriend Alyssa and her mother. Someone messed with her brakes and they're accusing her of doing it as some sort of teenage stunt for attention."

"Right, I'm leaving now. I'm down the street, I just finished a meeting with another client, it won't take me long to get there."

"Thank you," he told the lawyer before they disconnected. "Let's get down to the station. At the very least we'll be moral support, even if we can't do anything."

"I'm with you, man," West said as they exited the house. "I think you're probably right."

"About what?" he asked as they climbed into his truck.

"That Seth probably has a couple of cops in his pocket, why else would they go after Alyssa so hard? Especially with her mother there and no evidence pointing to her." They pulled out of the driveway and headed for the police station.

"Yeah, it isn't looking good. I bet they thought they could railroad her into confessing."

West laughed. "They don't know her very well then. That girl is as stubborn as hell."

Josh grinned. "She is, but if you think she's stubborn, she's nothing compared to her mother. Those cops won't know what hit them."

"And once the lawyer shows up the entire thing will fall apart around them." West grinned. "If I had a drink I'd make a toast to stubborn women."

Josh laughed. "I'd join you." They pulled into the parking lot at the station, parked, and went inside.

The officer at the desk smiled at them. "Can I help you?"