Chapter 9

Seth pitched a rock into the river. "You and West have a thing?"

"No."

"That argument didn't look like two people who weren't involved."

Zay sighed. "He kissed me at Josh's last party but that was the extent of our involvement. He wanted me to admit I had feelings for him, to admit that I'm gay. I wasn't ready."

"Yeah, West has a way of pushing a little too hard." He grinned. "He's always been like that, though I remember after he came out he was so uncertain of everything. His dad's rejection hit him hard and I think he was looking for acceptance wherever he could find it. I guess that's why he fell in with us so easily. He regretted it, a life of crime wasn't for him." Seth grinned widely. "I guess he blames me for the things he did."

"You two had a thing?" Zay asked.

Seth shrugged. "It was more of a hookup than a boyfriend thing. He had just come out and I think he was, I don't know, exploring I suppose. I was his first." He tossed another rock.

Zay watched the ripples created by the rock, waiting for them to disperse before he spoke. "So then it wasn't serious?"

Seth bumped his shoulder against Zay's. "Jealous?"

"No, just curious."

"Nah, it wasn't serious. We were sort of each other's booty call. Friends with benefits, whatever. At least that's how I looked at it. I never asked West if his feelings were more involved, once he decided to bail on the gang we stopped talking, so I doubt there was anything there."

"Probably not." He smiled at Seth. "Though, he was pretty angry for someone whose feelings weren't involved. Maybe he's still hung up on you cause you were his first."

"Nah, I doubt it. He doesn't like the gang and I'm sure he thinks I'm going to try and convince you to join up."

Zay snorted. "As if. After that convenience store fiasco, you couldn't convince me to get anywhere near Darrel and those guys again."

"But you're near me."

"Yeah, well ... you're different," Zay replied quietly.

Seth placed a hand against his cheek. "Am I?"

He covered Seth's hand with his own and smiled. "Yes, very."

They remained as they were, staring at one another for several seconds before Seth leaned in and pressed his lips to Zayden's. It was tentative as if he were afraid Zay was going to shove him away. His lips were soft and when his tongue swept out to lick over Zay's bottom lip he released a little groan in response to the touch of his tongue.

Seth deepened the kiss and Zay accepted it, twining his arms around Seth's shoulders and pulling him closer. Seth's hand slipped from his cheek to tangle in Zay's hair, he moved forward and laid them back in the grass.

When Seth's hand slipped beneath his shirt, Zay gave him a little push. "Seth ... I'm ..."

Seth backed off and sat down. "Not ready for that," he finished.

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I don't mean to—"

"Stop it, I understand, Zayden. You've spent most of your time trying to hide who you are, this is all new to you."

He sat up with a sigh. "Thanks for understanding."

"It's not a big deal." Seth nudged him with an elbow. "I'm not here to roll over you and force you to do anything you don't want to. You need time, I'll still be here when you're ready, though I will say you've got the kissing part down." He grinned and Zay blushed.