Chapter 20

Seth paced outside the house while the phone rang.

"Hello, boss."

"Don't you fucking boss me, Carlise!"

"Hey, Seth!" Zayden called.

"Hold on." He pressed the phone to his chest and looked over his shoulder at Zay where he stood in the doorway to the house. "Yeah, what is it?"

"Food is almost ready! Like two minutes."

"Okay, I'm almost done. It's the tow yard."

Zay waved and disappeared back inside. Seth waited until the door closed to lift the phone back to his ear. "The bitch is still alive, you fucked up asshole."

"I took all the brake fluid out of her car, there's no way she got out of that!"

"I've seen her, the bitch is alive!" Seth snarled into the phone.

"Don't worry, I'll handle it!"

"No, you won't! Right now the cops aren't suspicious, you throw another accident at her and that won't last! You are fucking lucky two of my guys were on duty or this would have slapped us in the ass! Stay the fuck away from her, got it?"

"Yeah, sure, got it. I swear I won't go near her."

"You better or I'll cut your dick off and feed to you then stand back and watch as you choke on it while you bleed to death. Are we clear?" He hung up before the moron could form an answer. After several deep, calming breaths he turned and went back into the house.

"Everything okay at the yard?" Zayden asked him.

"Yeah, they're idiots who can't find paperwork even if it's staring them in the face."

"I know you hate it when you're not there," Zay said with a chuckle. "Workaholic."

"I am not! It's just that the business is my uncle's life and he has no kids so the place goes to me when he decides to retire. I want to make certain it's still going strong when the time comes for me to take over."

Zay pecked a kiss on his cheek as he passed him on his way to the oven. "I know, I'm teasing."

Seth watched as he pulled a dish from the oven. "You made lasagna? Damn, that smells good."

"Yeah, my mom taught me." He paused, staring down at the lasagna.

"Hey, come on it's okay, Zay."

"I know. There are times I'll do something and reach for the phone to tell them about it before I realize I can't do that anymore. It sucks." He turned away and set the dish on the table. "I can't tell Alyssa or Josh either," he said quietly.

Seth moved over behind him and placed his hands on Zay's shoulder. "You can always tell me."

Zay placed one of his hands over one of Seth's. "I know. No offense, but it isn't the same."

"I understand," he replied and set his chin on Zay's shoulder. "I'm still here whenever you need me."

Zay turned and wrapped his arms around his waist. "Thank you."

"Always." He pushed Zay back slightly. "Let's eat before that lasagna gets cold. Is there garlic bread?"

Zay laughed and went back to the oven. "Yes there is."

"Awesome." Seth took a seat at the table and began serving the lasagna. He took a bite and groaned. "This is so good! I never ate this good before I started dating you."

Zay rolled his eyes. "Is that the only reason you continue to date me?"

"It's definitely part of it," he said with a wink.