Chapter 30

Alyssa stepped through the front door and made her way into the living room. "Hey, Zay."

He smiled and set his notebook aside. "Hey, where's Josh and West?"

"Coach is in a mood and it looks like practice is going to be a little longer today. Not sure why he's pissy but he was taking it out on the guys. Josh gave me his keys and I took his truck home. West will drive them home later."

"Are we waiting on them for dinner or do you want to order a pizza?"

"I vote pizza," she said with a grin.

"Awesome."

"Let them fend for themselves," she said with a chuckle and pulled out her phone to call the pizza place. She frowned when someone pounded on the door. "Who could that be?"

Zay shrugged. "I'll get it, you order the pizza." He left the living room and went to the front door and pulled it open "If you forgot the keys to your own house, Josh, you're an idiot."

Detective Ferrel grabbed him by the front of his shirt, yanked him out of the house, and slammed him against the wall. "You're under arrest, Mr. Walker."

"Whoa, hey what the hell is going on?"

Ferrel ignored him and slapped handcuffs on his wrists.

"I have the right to know what the hell you're arresting me for!"

"I suggest you exercise your right to shut the fuck up," Ferrel snarled.

"Alyssa, call Angelo!" he shouted. "Alyssa!"

She came running from the house as Ferrel shoved him into the back of the police car. "Why are you taking him away? What's going on?" She grabbed Detective Blaine by the arm. "You can't take him, he hasn't done anything wrong!"

Blaine looked back at the car, shook his head, and looked at her. "Call his lawyer and pray like hell because he's in deeper shit than you realize." He shook off her grasp and left her standing there.

"Don't say a fucking word to them, Zay!" she screamed as they pulled away. She sucked in a breath, ran inside, and found Mr. Salazar's card on the fridge. "Come on, answer! Mr. Salazar, those two cops showed up at Josh's house and they snatched Zay! No, they wouldn't tell me why. He looked so scared. He hasn't done anything! He goes to school and work, or he stays at Josh's house! He's been sticking to what the judge told him to do!" She listened as Mr. Salazar spoke. "All right, thank you."

Once they disconnected, she grabbed her purse and ran out to her car. She drove as quickly as she could to the school, screeched into the lot, parked, and ran to the baseball field. "Josh!" she yelled while waving her arms like a maniac.

The coach sent her a glare but he allowed Josh to leave the field.

"Lyssa, what the hell? The coach is in a shit mood, I can't do this right now."

"Yes, you can! Those two cops showed up at the house and snatched Zay. They wouldn't tell me anything. They cuffed him and shoved him into the back of the car."

"Shit, we need to call Mr. Salazar and get him to the station."

"I did, he's already on his way but we need to be there. He needs us, Josh, he looked so scared!"

"Okay, give me a minute." He turned and trotted back to where the coach waited and they held a quick conversation.

Alyssa bit her lip as she watched him argue with the coach. West wandered over to her. "What's going on?"

"They came to the house and grabbed Zay."

"They? They who?"

"Those two detectives. They cuffed him and shoved him in the car but they wouldn't tell me why they were arresting him. West, that Detective Blaine told me to call his lawyer and that I better pray because Zay was in deeper shit than we realized."